Radio Question

I have a 1990 420SEL that's having intermittant radio problems. After I start the car, I hear a rythmic (SP) clicking from the speakers. Eventually, the clicking stops, the antenna extends and the radio
plays fine, or sometimes the antenna extends, the display is blank, but I can hear background noise.
The radio is original equipment. Two questions: First, does the radio consist of a dash unit and a remote unit, or is it all contained in the dash unit? If remote, where is it located? And, does anyone have any ideas on what's wrong with it? I MISS MY RADIO!!!
TIA for any help.