Rattling noise on idle ('91 300 D Turbo)

One morning my `91 300 D Turbo (290K Km / 180 K miles) suddenly developed a terrible rattling noise on idle. The rattling disappears completely if the rpm are raised to about 1000 and appear again on idle after that. It's sounds like the noise come from the front side of the engine. My guess was that it is the timing chain. However, I thing the chain starts to make noise more gradually, not from one day to the next. Therefore I thought that may be the timing chain tensioner was broken and I replaced with a new one, filled with oil as it was described in the manual. However, nothing changes.

Could it be that the sound comes not from the chain but something else or I should go directly for a new chain?

Thanks.

Reply to
Dimi

oilchange oilchange oilchange oilchange oilchange oilchange oilchange oilchange

yes, oilchange. oilchange every 3000 kilometers.

but for this rattle do oilchange every 500 km 3 times.

dont forget the oilfilter - chance every time.

use a good synthetic oil on the last 500 km change

your engine is most likely dirty inside of it

Reply to
Niels Ulrik

The oil is changed on the recommended intervals (10 000 km) or shorter allays together with the oil filter. I am using fully synthetic 0W40 over the last 60 000 km. The last oil and filter change was 2000 km ago. So, I could not agree with you. However, thank you for your opinion.

Dimi

Reply to
Dimi

broken motor mount

the case, minus a few cans!

Reply to
pool man

My 190D 2.5 had a rattle like you mention. Just between 1000-1200 rpm. Annoying. I kept doing oilchanges as I believed my engine was dirty from prior owner. No more rattle after many oilchanges a year ago. Runs fine now.

If you dont do oilchanges yourself make sure you SEE it done you never know what those mechanics do. Maybe change oil yourself. And filter. Takes 15 minutes.

Theese engines are made to run and run and run.

Maybe add some diesel fuel treetment to your tank to clean your injectors. Do this very often.

Once your engine dont rattle then treament follows regularly.

Regards Niels

Reply to
Niels Ulrik

Your description of the noise, rattling is difficult to interpret. Does the noise increase in intensity with increased rpm or just frequency? Does the engine shake? Does it do it all the time, or after a cold start, or???

Reply to
Henry Kolesnik

The noise level do not increase with the increasing rpm, just the frequency increase but only up to 900-1000 rpm. At higher rpm the engine sounds absolutely normal. The rattling noise is permanent at idle rpm, regardless the temperature of engine and the ambient temperature. I do not see an excessive shaking of the engine.

Dimi

Reply to
Dimi

Get a piece of hose and a screwdriver, move around the engine while it's running and listen with the hose. Locate where the noise is actually coming from first.

Could be serpentine belt tensioner, or alternator or waterpump most likely ...

Marty

Reply to
Martin Joseph

Could it be that you mean the knocking noise that some times comes from the hydraulic valve lifters? If yes, it is clearly not my case. I know the sound of knocking lifters very well. My engine rattles and clatters much terribly.

However, I think that 60 000 km with regular oil change intervals using the best fully synthetic oils on the German market and only MB OEM oil filters, should prevent an excessive dirt deposition. Additionally the engine was flushed two times with engine flush and due to different reasons the oil was changed several times on very short intervals (500 to 2000 km). And yes, after some bad experience with the workshops years ago, I always do the routine maintains (all fluids and filter changes etc.) myself.

This is a good point. I have a diesel fuel treatment in the tank added ~1000 km ago (they claim that it should be active at least 2000 km) but will not harm to add some more. I can not exclude the injectors as a source of the rattling noise. The noise is to loud to localize it correctly.

Thanks

Dimi

Reply to
Dimi

sounds just like what i had i'd say lifters or injectors

Reply to
Niels Ulrik

I had a similar problem on my 300E. It was caused by a worn out bushing at the top of the belt damper.

The damper looks like a small shock absorber, and only of the top of it is visible unless you stick your head in there and look closely. In my case. the top of the damper was visibly loose and rattling/knocking... mostly when I put it in gear at an idle.

Reply to
News Groups

I know what you mean - the small damper on the belt tensioner. It was replaced by me a year ago but I will check it. Thanks for the hint.

Dimi

Reply to
Dimi

It was the crankshaft belt pulley. One of its bolts was broken, one was fallen down and all of the rest were loose. How this could happend? A week ago the car was in the workshop for A/C job. What should I think?

Dimi

Reply to
Dimi

oh dear - a careless mechanic. mention it too the mechanic and try to make a joke of it and ask for a free oilchange

Reply to
Niels Ulrik

cannot be brought about. 212. Would society EVENTUALLY develop again toward an industrial-technological form? Maybe, but there is no use in worrying about it, since we can't predict or control events 500 or 1,000 years in the future. Those problems must be dealt with by the people who will live at that time. THE DANGER OF LEFTISM 213. Because of their need for rebellion and for membership in a movement, leftists or persons of similar psychological type are often unattracted to a rebellious or activist movement whose goals and membership are not initially leftist. The resulting influx of leftish types can easily turn a non-leftist movement into a leftist one, so that leftist goals replace or distort the original goals of the movement. 214. To avoid this, a movement that exalts nature and opposes technology must take a resolutely anti-leftist stance and must avoid all collaboration with leftists. Leftism is in the long run inconsistent with wild nature, with human freedom and with the elimination of modern technology. Leftism is collectivist; it seeks to bind together the entire world (both nature and the human race) into a unified whole. But this implies management of nature and of human life by organized society, and it requires advanced technology. You can't have a united world without rapid transportation and communication, you can't make all people love one another without sophisticated psychological techniques, you can't have a "planned society" without the necessary technological base. Above all, leftism is driven by the need for power, and the leftist seeks power on a collective basis, through identification with a mass movement or an organization. Leftism is unlikely ever to give up technology, because technology is too valuable a source of collect

Reply to
Niels Ulrik

I do not think that I will go to this workshop again even for an oil change. After two visits for several days each, my A/C is still empty. Every time they said that now the A/C is OK.

I case that some one from the region reads this - Autohaus Borgdorf GmbH (Mercedes-Benz Dealer), 06484 Quedlinburg, Germany. NOT Recommended!

Dimi

Reply to
Dimi

It is not that damper... it is your tensioner pulley... change it... only $30. Easy to tell... the damper rattles as you touch it...

Reply to
Tiger