Rattling shifter

As I fix and fine tune things on my '92 300D I find other things that bug me. One that drives me nuts is a vibration of the shift lever that's makes
an annoying un-Mercedes like noise, If I hold the lever against the detent it's silent but that's no real solution. Anybody have any insights?
Thanks!
JD