Re: 190E 2.6 turn signal problem

Anyone got any ideas?

this happened to me couple months ago (190D) ... turned out the connections at the hazard (warning/caution) flasher unit (underneath console cover) were insecure. hope this helps.

Reply to
Nick Hogg

I had a similar problem when I was driving a little mazda protege in high school. The lights would turn on, but then the car would not start. if the lights were off, the car would start, but the lights would not turn on. turns out a squirrel had taken up residence in my engine compartment and chewed through a bunch of wires, some of which were grounding out on the car. something you might look into..

connections

Reply to
purplegrog
190E 2.6 turn signal problem Group: alt.auto.mercedes Date: Sun, Jun 22, 2003, 11:16am From: snipped-for-privacy@gmx.net (mrpalmguru) Regarding a 1989 190E 2.6 6cyl: Recently, while driving, I found that my turn signals are inoperative. I checked the fuse, and it seems fine. The horn works, which is on the same fuse, so that's not the issue. The warning lights / caution signals also go on, so the bulbs are probably fine as well. However, on a side note, the warning lights button is somewhat iffy, and tends to stick in the on position. It's currently off though, while I'm testing it. The turn signals stopped working recently while it was raining, if that helps. Anyone got any ideas? ****************************************************** Relay 3.201.200 Importec.com part #2020-26668 Retail $178.00 their price $69.76 w/free shipping
Reply to
DefLizard

Thanks, I suspect this, as the button is messed up. How do I open up the console cover?

Reply to
jonathanhuang

just prise it up carefully at the edge. if it is a manual, then unhook the stick rubber gaiter from its surround. once cover is freed, it is possible to access the underside of the switch and unplug the connector. i think the switch is held in by a spring clip either side.

Reply to
Nick Hogg

Sorry for being confused, but you mean I apply a screwdriver to the edge of the "wood" panel bit? It doesn't look very easy to stick in, and there isn't much of a hole, so I just want to be sure before I stick pointy things at it (I'm just a tad bit squeamish at scratching it).

Thanks! The only way that i'd know how to open it otherwise is to apply a chainsaw...

Reply to
jonathanhuang

You're right to question this - don't be hasty! I'm assuming that your car is an automatic. Mine is a stick so I'm not sure how well this will translate, but it should be similar.

On a stick, you loosen the shift boot, which gives you a handhold on the wood insert. Lift on the REAR of the insert. It takes some muscle, but it will pop up. Then slide the insert back to free up the front edge. DON'T just take a screwdriver to it and pry on the sides! At best you'll scratch it up, and at worst you'll break it.

Bill Balmer

1986 190E 2.3-16 first 16V in the US featured in Car & Driver - March, 1986
Reply to
William Balmer

Many thanks for clearing that up! I got the panel open, and tried disconnecting the hazard light, since it was sticky, but no dice, still no turn lights. I'll probably end up changing the hazard switch later, but for now, still no turn lights after removing the plug.

Another guy suggested the turn light relay, i'll look into that next.

Reply to
jonathanhuang

Re: 190E 2.6 turn signal problem Group: alt.auto.mercedes Date: Tue, Jun 24, 2003, 4:59pm From: snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com (jonathanhuang) Relay 3.201.200 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 Importec.com part #2020-26668 Retail $178.00 their price $69.76 w/free shipping Thanks for the part number, but where does the relay go? And, wherever it happens to be, how can I get to it? Thanks in advance, you guys are saving me from the wrath of the dealer...

*************************************************** usually in a covered compartment, screwed down, generally around or behind the fuse box. the relay is about 4 inches long, 2 inches high, and 1 inch wide and is black, except for part nos. on one side. you have to pry it out and new one just plugs back in. HTH
Reply to
DefLizard

Try to replace the switch before you replace the relay since the blinkers get their power through this switch and the contacts oxidize. If you are cautious enough you could pry open the switch from the bottom, take the contacts out, clean them and put everything back together. You get another year of working blinkers this way.

In my w201 the contacts went bad 5 years ago and until now I have cleaned the contacts three times. Next time there will be nothing to clean any more though... ;-)

Helar

Reply to
Helar Laasik

No way! Use liquid contact cleaner that leaves protective layer on the contacts. Or pencil eraser, but it doesn't clean the corrosion dents in the contacts.

Helar

Reply to
Helar Laasik

Thanks for the tip, but I just bought a new switch anyhow. Plugged it in, worked like a charm. Thanks so much, all of you!

Reply to
jonathanhuang