Re: 300SDL Locomotive

Smoke is unburned fuel. Either there's too much fuel or too little air. Since someone messed about with the injection pump there's probably too much fuel. But before tearing into the IP check the paper air filter
inside the engine's air cleaner and replace it if its very dirty.
Injection pumps aren't "weak"; the guy wasn't satisfied with the diesel's off the line acceleration and tried to "goose" it by cranking up the ALDA - too much, thus the smoke.
Transmission's fluid should be BETWEEN the dipstick's marks. Overfilling will cause the fluid to become aerated and those little bubbles cause the transmission to lose its internal pressures and slip. So check it hot and remove any excess fluid.
You should know that this straight six is a fine engine but shouldn't be overheated. Overheating can cause its head gasket to break and worse, the aluminum head to crack. Be sure the radiator is in good shape and don't charge long hills in hot weather - take it easy.

I am a truck driver. And I'd like to extend the smoke palette, partly correcting the above:
BLUE smoke is oil burning (various causes) WHITE smoke is coolant "burning" (usually leaking head gasket) BLACK smoke is incomplete fuel burning (either too rich or timing related)
Hope this helps,
Marten
Hi,
Sorry, a little bit off-topic!

Ok, this makes me almost speachless. I guess the fuel tank of my bike is less than the half of the coolant supply of your truck!?
Take care, Roland R.