Re: 300SL or 380SL, need advice

==========================Nothig on the road looks quite like the 107(450/380/560 Sl). If you go with the 380 Sl, buy the Mercedes Service CD and expect to use it.
Owning one of these is like being married -- expect to put a lot of effort into it, but it is not all work. Find a source of cheaper than dealer parts (www.bimmerzome.com is where I buy many of mine).
If you can stand to have a car not quite so cool, you will probably have less work keeping the newer one on the road. Frankly, to me they look like a lot of other cars from lesser manufacturers. ===========================
I've owned my 380SL for 21 years - bought it new in 1983. Though I only have 37,000 miles on it and it is garage kept, all that has ever been done to it is replace valve cover gaskets, replace antenna motor, brake master cylinder, recharge AC, and typical consumables like battery/oil/tires.
Like you, I am looking for a 380SL or 450SL to "play" with.