Re: 560SL or 380 SL?

Given your budget, I wouldn't concern myself with the differences between the two cars (they're pretty minor, really) and just get the best car I can for the money -- either flavor will do.
Ron http://germanstar.net
wrote: : : >> A MB mechanic suggested that I would be better served by a 560SL than a : >380 : >> SL. I'm not well-versed in the benefits/drawbacks of either car. I'm just : >> looking for a convertible MB that will run well and last with a reasonable : >> amount of maintenance. : >> : >> Any thoughts? My budget is ~10,000 USD. : >> : > : >P.S. Cold AC is a must, as I am in the Deep South. : > : > : With a $10,000 cap you might be looking for a 450SL instead. 380's : are (in Atlanta) going for $12,500 on the low end with 560's starting : at $15-17,000.
In Columbia, S.C., I paid $11,000 for my 380SL six months ago. It was a steal! And FWIW the timing chain had just been replaced with a double chain. However, if I let the local M-B dealership replace my power steering box then I'm looking at a $1,750 bill. But *that* ain't gonna happen.
/ramalane
-- Church of the Swimming Elephant http://www.cotse.com Have you been to church today?