Re: '86 300 SDL wheels & tires questions

235/55-16 is as big as you can go. Any smaller size tire will wotk as long as the diametr is within 2%. Use this:
http://mbz.org/sys/tires

I think chrome looks tack and pimped out and prefer alloys (which are painted silver as aluminum oxidizes) but that's just me.
Tire Rack is what I'd use and jim at tirerack.com is very very helpful.
They won't do any less for you than anybody else will, nowm when it comes to balancing I'm not a big fan of off-car balance; if you want it to be as smooth as glass get them balanced on the car. Not many places can do this but it makes a difference.
You need perfect alignment of you're wear the tires prematurely, these big heavy cars can be tough on tires if it's not dead on and I've had so many bad alignments (with the worn tires to prove it) from places that only doChevvies that it's worth finding a place that specifically does German cars. BMW's are even tricker to align than Mercedes, so find a place that does those (or ask he local BMW indie who they use) and take the car there.
--
Richard Sexton | MB, BMW parts: http://buyeuroparts.com
On Sun, 20 Jul 2003 17:55:59 GMT, "Kevin L. Bray"

Don't do it!
Chrome will peel, causing rims to look like hell and you will get rim leaks.
Still going to do it? I'd like to buy your 15" wheels to replace the POS 16' wheels on my car. I'll give you $100 for them.
Regards,
Peter Arnold 1987 300SDL 209Kmi 1995 F250 P.S.D. 141 Kmi 2001 P.T. Cruizer 43Kmi, Trouble Free! 1954 Nash Metropolitan {TMU but less than any of the above}