Re: Are Mercedes Benz overpriced?

Page 1 of 3
: I just had a look at the new Toyota Avensis today, and it occured to me, how : on earth does the Merc C class justify its much higher list price? The
: interior of the "new" Ford Mondeo looks pretty plush too. : : So is it just for the badge?
Nope. It's for the quality which means longevity. My uncle was in town yesterday (he's from Dallas) and as he admired my MB he stated matter-of-factly that he put 200,000 miles on each of his last two before trading them in, and got what he wanted for them. Do you really expect that from a Toyota?
/ramalane
-- Church of the Swimming Elephant http://www.cotse.com Have you been to church today?

No. It's not just the badge. They will drive the same a 2, 5, 10 years. I know because I've owned many and once you get into one you'll have a hard time accepting anything else. Resale is better on MB than anything else except maybe a Honda.
Rob

Toyota has a better reputation for quality and longentivity than M-B :)

Newsbeitrag

I doubt that this statement applies worldwide, e.g. why are more than 70% of all cabs in Germany Mercedes instead of Toyota?

:-) I wonder what world you live in. Toyotas are excellent but there's not much left of them after 20 years. This will most likely be true of the current crop of MB, for the last 8-10 years too though.
I have an '85 300SD with around 500,000KM with it... granted, the radiator had to be replaced and the window regulator wore out it's first two teeth, making the window useless. Anyways. The car drives great, it has been abused, but drives excellent, solid as new and the engine runs like a clock. Same with my dad's '81 300D with 400,000KM, 5 drivers, 50,000KM per year but no trouble, even with oil changes at intervals that are twice as long as they should be. Also, I don't think my dad's 3000KG Ford Econoline camper would go anywhere with a small Toyota diesel engine, however, my dad put in a 1975 non-turbo diesel with auto transmission which get 9L/100KM, instead of 26L/100KM with the Ford engine. So far 115,000KM in 4 years and not even one problem. Though a bit slow up hills. This week 9,000KM, Vancouver-Florida-Toronto, not even one problem. THAT is a Mercedes!

Is that what quality is based on? The number of cabs in Germany? In that case there are more Ford Crown Victoria Police vehicles in the United States. Does that mean Ford is better than an E class?
H8That wrote:

Yes, that indeed is a good indicator, these cars are owned by private companies and as profit is sparse in that business the best car per Euro is preferred - and besides buying price this has to do with customers wishes, quality, availability of service parts etc. There are alyways some taxi owners - many one-car owner-operated taxi companies in Germany - who try to save money when buying the car: In the long term an E-Class 220CDI with the 95 PS engine _is_ the best choice overall - all other sedans _are_ inferior.

In terms of use as a police vehicle in the US - definitely.
Here in Germany MB E-Class is getting more and more popular as police vehicles - same rules apply here as with taxis.
Juergen
The E class MB consistantly comes out on top in terms cost of ownership per Intellichoice. Included in the analysis in not initial cost but depreciation, cost of repairs and insurance and fuel etc. Based upon these criteria the E class is one of the best bargains around. It's not suprising that they are used as cabs in Germany and why this is cost effective. Remember too that the E classes used as cabs are generally stripped down models and not top of the line cars with leather and all of the optional electronic goodies parktronic and keyless go such as etc. which can add considerble cost to the vehicle.

That's why in Europe, you could get a S class 126 with cloth seats, roll-up windows and manual transmission. Had wood at least.
http://www.mobile.de/SID2pePNkK2kydlVA7NIlW6JA-t-vaNexlCsAsK%F3P%F3R~BmSB10LsearchPublicJ1057398062A1LsearchPublicCCarY-t-vctpLtt~BmPA1B21B20B27p-t-vMIMkRDSm_xsO~BSRA5F150000E17200D1988C260A0A2/cgi-bin/da.pl?bereich=pkw&top $&id111111123036856&
http://www.mobile.de/SID4Q69wmqF5oEiw-1r9sz01w-t-vaNexlCsAsK%F3P%F3R~BmSB10LsearchPublicJ1058945407A1LsearchPublicCCarY-t-vctpLtt~BmPA1B21B20B49%7D-t-vMIMkMoRDSm_xrdsO~BSRA5F150000E17200C260D1990C260A0D1985A2/cgi-bin/da.pl?bereich=pkw&id 111111122627536&top#&
http://www.mobile.de/SID4Q69wmqF5oEiw-1r9sz01w-t-vaNexlCsAsK%F3P%F3R~BmSB10LsearchPublicJ1058945407A1LsearchPublicCCarY-t-vctpLtt~BmPA1B21B20B49%7D-t-vMIMkMoRDSm_xrdsO~BSRA5F150000E17200C260D1990C260A0D1985A2/cgi-bin/da.pl?bereich=pkw&id 111111122551745&top(&
http://www.mobile.de/SID4Q69wmqF5oEiw-1r9sz01w-t-vaNexlCsAsK%F3P%F3R~BmSB10LsearchPublicJ1058945407A1LsearchPublicCCarY-t-vctpLtt~BmPA1B21B20B49%7D-t-vMIMkMoRDSm_xrdsO~BSRA5F150000E17200C260D1990C260A0D1985A2/cgi-bin/da.pl?bereich=pkw&id 111111123059407&top%&

Interesting..... thought BMW outperformed them in maneuvers.

police here don't use the cars because of their "maneuvers" , maybe in the states where they "chase" cars at 120 mph, thats really a big laugh over here. in germany,for "maneuvers" you use ruf porsches, not BMW or mercedes. they want reliable and comfortable cars that's why the often drive mercedes.
GOOD POINT!

Even a gay green and white RUF 911 couldn't kiss my Isis white Murcielago's ass. Maybe if they blocked all autobahn's intersections and got backed up by one helicopter or two... But then, they would end up apologizing and bowing down to me once my credentials checked *smirk* Who else is in need for speed?
John

...and because, I believe, Merc dealerships make an extra effort in getting taxi drivers back on the road, knowing how dependent they are on their cars.
Mercs are popular as taxis in Switzerland, Netherlands...
DAS --
Dori Schmetterling wrote:

Yes, here in Germany a taxi goes in last and goes out first. Also in bigger cities there is a 365 day 24 hour emergency service for repairs and parts plus loaner taxis for longr repairs.
MB has understood since ages how important taxis are for the brand reputation.
Juergen

You are actually bias and ignorant enough to challenge Toyota on quality? That is the very thing that made Toyota famous!
I can see you challenging styling.... but quality? Give me a break! Anyone who challenges a Toyota or a Honda on quality today has got to be either biased or ignorant.
... and stop comparing 20 year old Benz with 20 year old Toyota. No one said Benz used to make bad cars. When it was just engine and performance, Benz kicked ass. But today's cars are full of electronic gadgets........ that is where Benz can't keep up in quality. They just can't build electronic components like Toyotas and Hondas.
Is it the BADGE? Do you think a Rolls Royce is worth three times the price of an S Class......... of course it's the badge! But if you can afford it, it is what separate different socioeconomic status.
Benz people look down on Toyota people not on quality (if they are honest) but on the badge.... likewise, Rolls Royce people look down on Benz people.......
On 22 Jul 2003 23:58:37 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com (H8That) wrote:

trying to say that a toyota is better than an MB will get you nowhere here

Okay supreme intellect....... I'm not saying that Toyota is better than MB in all aspects. I'm saying that you can't attack Toyota on the basis of quality. It simply is not true. All engineers and mechanics know that Toyotas are some of the most reliable vehicles out there.
I grew up with Mercedes all around the home. Personally, I prefer the Porshe . However, I can't say Toyotas and Hondas are junk. Just like Rolls Royce owners can't say Mercedes are junk just because they own a more expensive machine.
Fact: In terms of reliability, MB has been hurting lately. They can't make electronic parts like they can make engines.
At about this time of the year, JD Powers comes up with reports praising Lexus. How do MB owners generally respond? Oh Lexus is just a Toyota - piece of junk. But neither Lexus nor Toyotas are junk.
Furthermore, don't direct all your anger at the Japanese automaker because the most direct threat against Mercedes comes from its German rival BMW. BMW have now outperformed MB in luxury and performance in all series for less price.
But what it really comes down to is individual preference if you have the money. You just can't say a lesser price car is junk. How factual would it be for someone in a Bentley to drive up to your mercedes and say that you have a piece of junk that can't even compare to his/her car?
I totally agree with this post. It's nothing but the "pimp-juice!" :-)
redbrick...who loves his CLK
says...

More American automotive terminology: "pimp-juice".
The mind boggles. What's that?
DAS --