Re: Are Mercedes Benz overpriced?

Page 3 of 3

Yes - this is what I am getting at. Mercedes standards have been slipping slowly, while the standards of Toyota (and some others) has been quietly improving. I think we are at the stage where M-B needs to work harder to stay on top and justify its premium.

Then why does a comparable BMW cost less? The 7 series cost less than an S class; but the 7 outperforms the S. The 5 outperforms the E, and the 5 costs less. The 3 outperforms the C, and the 3 costs slightly less. BMW also puts a lot into R&D.
MB has real competition from BMW, Lexus, Infinity, Acura, and Audi...... and reliability and performance are big factors.

I actually admire all cars that are built well. I was also happy to see how much the Jaguars have improved.
On the flip side, I criticize cars when they are not doing well. And I hate excuses by putting down other cars. Someone in this newsgroup said it is ultimately up to the consumers despite all the money MB puts into R&D. I am a consumer, and I demand more from such a premium tag. I bought a 2001 MB and the list of problems have been a headache. Once, the CD player on the Navigation system refused to cough out my CD. They had to replace the entire Navigation system.......... and I took a day off from work - AGAIN! My girlfriend's Acura - absolutely no problem - that thing would probably run on water. My parents have had one MB after another until now..... they switched to BMW745i and Lexus LS430 each. MB can't continue to justify its position as the supreme luxury cars. Both cost less than an S class.

Are BMW workers handmaking Rolls Royce now?
Oh - the 190E is a real classic!--- hahaha

Probably, but after a long day at work, it's kind of fun to be a computer nerd and argue a little :)

I've had very little problems with my SL and E class (both late model). The E class first year teleaid system was spooked but after that all has been well. From reading complaints such as yours and comparing them to experiences such as mine it seems as if the main problem with MB nowadays is lack of consistency. You either get a good, reliable car or you get one with loads of headaches. In the latter case the vehicle appears less in need of a mechanic than it does of an exorcism.
Harvey Louzon wrote:

There is a possibility that the owners with bad experiences are much more motivated to express their unhappiness than the owners with good experiences are motivated to express their happiness. On-line forums for this reason may not accurately reflect the ratio of happy to unhappy owners.
.
.

Could be true. I bought a 99 S420 lease return with 38,000 miles. It now has 50,000. I carry a fair number of customers, and everyone is comfortable in both the front and the back. So far it is an excellent vehicle. I paid $42,500.00 and had some minor work done under warranty. Dealer was pleasant, maintenance is expensive, but not notably more than other brands, and the ride/fit and finish/ comfort, suspension, etc. are all first class.

Come on... you know you gota earn your stripes... Toyota? that isn't even close to a BENZ. I can honestly say they have earned the right to charge such high prices. but you and I both know... Toyota... could make a car just as good.
BUT this isn't the Cosby Show.

OR a 350Z!!!