Re: Diesel S-Class

> >I was reading in the motoring press that now over 50% of S-Class Mercedes > >sold in the UK come with a diesel engine, the S320 CDI. > > > >This got me thinking, if your spending the best part of 50k on a car, why > >would you be so concerned about saving a few pennies by going diesel? > > if I am not mistaken the cost factor is more than a few pennies per > gallon, also a diesel engine needs less maintenance and lasts longer > than a gasoline engine

Admittedly the diesel euromix economy is 36mpg, compared to 25 mpg for the S280 and you do save money. But if you want to save money, what on earth are you doing buying a brand new Mercedes S-Class?

I am not sure about maintainance, sure there is no ignition system but I am sure the oil needs changing about twice as often on a diesel.

> >I mean I am sure modern diesels are very good, but petrol engines are still > >more refined, and if your going for a luxury car, why does one not go the > >full way? > > > not true at all, my being in the US, I haven't seen too many of the > new cdis but from what I've seen, they are as good or better > performance wise

Yeah, the S320 CDI does 0-60 in 7.9 sec, quicker than the S350 petrol.

But for a car like this, performance is not important, it is *refinement*. I.e. the engine has to be whisper quiet and very smooth. I am not convinced your gonna get that in a diesel.

> > >Can anyone provide any insight into this strange phenominan?

Interestingly

>BMW and Audi have followed suit with diesel 7-series and A8! > the only insight needed is that you are letting prejudices cloud your > thinking

Well, it could be true, that is why I seek answers ;)

The other day I saw on TV a new Jaguar X-type diesel. First ever Jaguar diesel. Seemed bizzare to see this Jaguar rattling away like a bus!

Reply to
Oliver Keating

longer

As you know, diesel fuel is more expensive than petrol in the UK. Also, road tax is more expensive for diesel cars. The main advantage lies in the massive torque available for the money. This translates to the diesel 3.2 being a far nicer drive than the 2.8 petrol while saving £££'s on the purchase price. When the car gets older, the fuel economy is more important as the car devalues. This means that the buyer of the 6 year old car will have economy as a higher priority so the diesel car will be in more demand. There is hardly any demand for big petrol cars over 6 years old in the UK.

But if you want to save money, what on earth are

Mercedes diesel engine work with long drain oils and have flexible service intervals. Typical service intervals for current generation engines driven in similar conditions are 15000 miles for diesel and

12500 miles for petrol versions.

Huw

Reply to
Huw

"Huw" wrote .

I meant a saving compared to a petrol engine of equivalent torque and drivability, which would be a V8.

Huw

Reply to
Huw

Service interval is 13000 on CDI's 10000 on petrols. The answer to your question is lease companies, they love em (and believe me, lease companies count *every* penny!). Loads of the CDI S classes we have in are leased.

If you have the cash to buy an S class you buy a petrol....

Reply to
miknik