Re: Diesel S-Class

<JohnDoe> wrote in message wrote:

Admittedly the diesel euromix economy is 36mpg, compared to 25 mpg for the S280 and you do save money. But if you want to save money, what on earth are you doing buying a brand new Mercedes S-Class?
I am not sure about maintainance, sure there is no ignition system but I am sure the oil needs changing about twice as often on a diesel.

Yeah, the S320 CDI does 0-60 in 7.9 sec, quicker than the S350 petrol.
But for a car like this, performance is not important, it is *refinement*. I.e. the engine has to be whisper quiet and very smooth. I am not convinced your gonna get that in a diesel.

Well, it could be true, that is why I seek answers ;)
The other day I saw on TV a new Jaguar X-type diesel. First ever Jaguar diesel. Seemed bizzare to see this Jaguar rattling away like a bus!
message wrote:

As you know, diesel fuel is more expensive than petrol in the UK. Also, road tax is more expensive for diesel cars. The main advantage lies in the massive torque available for the money. This translates to the diesel 3.2 being a far nicer drive than the 2.8 petrol while saving 's on the purchase price. When the car gets older, the fuel economy is more important as the car devalues. This means that the buyer of the 6 year old car will have economy as a higher priority so the diesel car will be in more demand. There is hardly any demand for big petrol cars over 6 years old in the UK.
But if you want to save money, what on earth are

Mercedes diesel engine work with long drain oils and have flexible service intervals. Typical service intervals for current generation engines driven in similar conditions are 15000 miles for diesel and 12500 miles for petrol versions.
Huw
.

I meant a saving compared to a petrol engine of equivalent torque and drivability, which would be a V8.
Huw
On Sun, 29 Jun 2003 07:12:27 +0000 (UTC), "Oliver Keating"

Service interval is 13000 on CDI's 10000 on petrols. The answer to your question is lease companies, they love em (and believe me, lease companies count *every* penny!). Loads of the CDI S classes we have in are leased.
If you have the cash to buy an S class you buy a petrol....
--

Lettuce spray for whirled peas...

Reply to usenet[at]miknik[dot]co[dot]uk