Re: Falshing fuel light on 1997 E420

I had this happen also and it stopped after the dealer replaced my evaporation cannister.
??

If it has an almost full gas tank, you probably filled up recently. Check the gas cap.

A flashing Low Fuel Indicator means there is a massive air leak in the emissions system. It can be caused by a loose fuel filler cap, or a bad purge valve, a bad charcoal cannister, a bad fuel pressure sensor, or a loose hose somewhere.
Note that adding more fuel after the nozzle has clicked off while fueling, to round to an even number, or to otherwise top off the gas tank, ruins the charcoal cannister, which in turn can result in the low fuel indicator lamp flashing.