Re: Green Interior on a 72 280 sel 4.5

I haven't seen a US spec 280sel 4.5 with MB tex.

Howard

1972 280sel 4.5
Has anyone else ever seen a medium color (closer to dark) green mb tex > interior on a 280sel 4.5? I have one and was talking to a friend who > thought it may be kind of rare. I got to thinking about it and of all > the mercedes I have looked at going back a few years on the internet > and especially ebay, I haven't seen another. Ebay had a roadster with > green leather but that is about it. So I thought I would throw the > question out there to see if anyone else has one or has seen one. > Thanks
Reply to
hnelson

GREEN interiors were, and ARE, rare! And there is a reason for this.

Years ago I had a Dark Olive 280SE 4.5 with green tex. There was only one green, and it was a lot lighter than the exterior color.

Bill Ditmire Ditmire Motorworks,Inc.

425 White Horse Pike Absecon,NJ 08201
609-641-3392
Reply to
Bill Ditmire

Green may be a rare color, but MB-Tex is what I don't understand. Are you sure it's MB-Tex, and if it is, are you sure it came with the car originally? The

280 SEL 4.5 had leather as standard equipment, and the 280 SE 4.5 had MB-Tex as standard equipment. Road & Track tested a 280 SEL 4.5 in 1971. The only option that car had was sunroof, but it did have leather seats which were standard. I once saw a 280 SEL 4.5 with MB-Tex seats, and the owner told me that the original leather seats were in bad shape, so he had MB-Tex seats from another W 108 put in. BTW, all 280 SEL 4.5 were U.S. spec cars. It was not available in Europe, and even if a few were sold there or found their way there, they are U.S. spec cars. They all had the low compression (8:1) 4.5-liter (M 117) V8 mated to a 3-speed, torque converter auto transmission. This was also the engine of the U.S. spec 350 SL.

Best regards,

Danny

Reply to
E 55 AMG

Nice car, my favorite Mercedes ever--I had the 300sel 4.5 variant--incredible.

Reply to
MCAS NV

Speaking of green interiors, a friend of mine got a 125 500SEL Euro last fall. Metallic mint green with green velour interior. Yeah, I know, but it's a non-us spec 500 and it's fast as hell.

A couple of days after he got it (and hadn't yet titled it in his state, it came from out west) he was pulled over for a busted taillight on a windy twisty country road at night. This guy is about 45; hiw wife was in the car.

"License, insiurance and registratyion"

"here's the insirance, here's my license, I havn't titled this yet"

"hmm, that's a problem. How do I know this isn't stolen?"

"Look at it. It's a 20 year old GREEN car with a GREEN interior"

"Good point. Ok, fix you'r taillight would ya? Have a great evening".

Reply to
Richard J. Sexton (At work

Once drove a W123 in yellow with green cloth interior - boy, was _that_ an intensive green... =:-(

Juergen

Reply to
Juergen .

Hello,

My father imported the 1977 450SEL (Euro W116) in 1982 to the USA. It was possibly the only Mercedes-Benz in Dallas, Texas or entire state of Texas to have metallic green with green velour upholstery.

In Dallas, my best friend's father had a 1979 450SEL (Euro W116) with dark brown metallic and ecru leather upholstery.

Verdict: my friend's parents prefer our 450SEL's velour upholstery over their 450SEL's shiny and hard leather. Velour kept us from sliding round in the manoeuvres or steep turning than leather.

Regards, Oliver

Richard J. Sext> Speaking of green interiors, a friend of mine got a 125 500SEL Euro

Reply to
Ennui Society

Hahaha! :] *Really* nice! Got me a good laugh!

...by the way those are nice cars. I just love the 70-80´s S-class.

IRIX forever. Tezro is in the Game! Silicon Graphics, if you want some real work done.

Reply to
Niclas Steinel-Hansson

I have a 1974 MB 240D with sea green exterior and green MB-Tex interior. Remarkably, the MB-Tex has held up really really well - not a tear or wrinkle to be found. The only problem I've seen is that at some seams, the stitching has come apart (esp. at the headrests) and the horsehair has come out. Man, that stuff stinks!

So I -think- a green MB-Tex interior is pretty rare, but this kind of hurts me - I need the little green insert that holds the window crank on the door, but I can't find one anywhere. Any suggestions?

Also, any tips on restuffing the seats?

Reply to
Sunilito