Re: High mileage MBs

Page 2 of 3
I know you are now into german police Harleys but talking about high mileages I knew of a chauffeur who proudly diplayed a merc 3 pointed star badge in his coat lapel.Apparently the merc factory sent bronze,
silver or gold depending on how many miles YOU had travelled in a merc. I believe it also applied to truck drivers, he had a silver one for 1 million miles and was working to the gold-5 million? Naturally all his mates called him Mr Mercedes! Not sure how you proved the mileage. Don

No problem :-)
You think the following could be a good choice?
http://www.mobile.de/SIDkx-ntu15BR7WagEnbyOM2g-t-vaNexlCsAsK%F3P%F3R~BmSB10LsearchPublicJ1060412268A1LsearchPublicCCarY-t-vctpLtt~BmPA1B21B20B48%81K-t-vMIMkPRRD_xetprrdsO~BSRA5F150000E17200H30000000D1990A0A2H20000000D1985A3/cgi-bin/da.pl?bereich=pkw&id 111111124 253372&top!&
try this: http://tinyurl.com/jht3
Hi Nick,
Nick Hogg wrote:

Many thanks!
But I get the very same error message... (I have tried it with Netscape 4.8, Netscape 7.0 and Internet Explorer 6.0.2800)
Juergen

It's sold! Oh well, hopefully there will be others...
have you tried eBay? http://www.ebay.de /

great idea! thanks!

Of course! If I found something I would try to arrange to buy it outside of ebay. But I haven't found anything, will have to rely on kfzmarkt.de and mobile.de, can't get much better! Are there any Hamburg papers online with car ads?
Thanks! cp
cp wrote:

Not really, _Hamburger Abendblatt_, in times before the internet _the_ source for used cars in the area had their ads also onlien, but now they use the autobild database as both are from the same publishers http://automarkt.autobild.de/abendblatt_de/gebraucht/index.php http://automarkt.autobild.de/web_de/gebraucht/suchen.php
Marke = brand Modell = model Typ = type Farbe = body colour Karosserie = type of body Limousine = sedan/saloon (normal WB) Motorart = type of engine Benzin = gasoline km-Stand bis = mileage in km up to PLZ = German post code/zip Erstzulassung von = first registered from Preis von = price from Leistung von = power output from im Umkreis = radius from zip (if entered) bis = upto/until
ABS = ABS Automatik = automatic transmission Fensterheber elektrisch = power windows Klimaanlage = air condition (manual or automatic) Lederausstattung = leather interiour MWSt. ausweisbar = German VAT of 16 per cent is stated = good for export outside the European Union Radio = radio Zentralverriegelung = central locking system
IMHO mobile.de is best, but there is more such services like kfzmarkt.de you already mentioned, e. g. http://www.autoscout24.de / For the English-language version go to <http://eng.autoscout24.com/home/index/search.asp?ts 76035&makeG&country=D&sort=pubstartdesc&zipcountry=D&totP0>
Plus there is also http://www.automobile.de / What is not bad here is that you can click on a zip area in the map to the right-hand side and all those who have a homepage can easily be selected by the little red icon behind their name.
http://www.webmobil24.com/web/de/start/p/index.htm is another one.
I am sure there are more...
Kind regards
Juergen
Thanks a lot for your help Juergen, I save your posts, good for reference :-)
How about car registration in Germany? What does a foreigner need to bring? (besides money :-) )
How does insurance work? Do I receive the temproary red license plates? Can I go to eastern Europe with the red plates?
Thanks for your help! Posts like yours will end up being used years from now by others :-)
cp
If you are planning to export the car your temp plates will let you drive anywhere. Can't remember how long max validity, maybe a month?
Just make sure you get insurance to cover the same period of the plates and the appropriate regions. European insurers distinguish between EU and some non-EU regions. For example, Ukraine and Romania would probably be seen as higher risk and attract a premium.
If you buy from a decent dealer he could arrange evrything for you.
Are you planning to visit your old homeland in eastern Europe...?..
DAS --

Sounds good enough,

What about Canada? :-) Will have to get something local

Ukraine and Romania? Never again, almost third world countries :-)

Yes, poland
cp
I have imported three cars into Britain from Germany since 1982. The first was a used car bought from a Merc dealer (the other two were new via factory -- 1986-- and dealership -- 2001 -- respectively.
I just don't remember what happened in 1982, except that I bought the car just before leaving for Britain. The dealership was in a Hamburg suburb and had no clue as to what to do about an export, as it then was (intra-EU transfers are now easier). I had to do a lot of the legwork to get them to issue the right papers.
(Actually, although my 2001 purchase was through a big dealership in a decent-sized town they also did not have much idea of what to do and spent an enormous amount of time helping them and encouraging them to call Stuttgart to get the facts. They were more used to selling to the odd GI stationed locally, who also have a special status.)
If you are planning to collect a car in Germany, drive around in Europe a bit and then ship to Canada you may get the insurance to cover the shipping to the Canadian destination, possibly even including a short period of driving there to allow you to register the car.
BTW, the plates aren't red anymore. They look more like the standard domestic plates but with a short expiry date. (I have seen people driving around with expired plates in London.) As you may know, in Germany the number plate is itself a legal document; not the case in Britain, for example.
DAS --
I accidentally posted my addendum separately. See newer post.
DAS --

Yes, found it earlier, I thought, hmmm who is she replying to, the subject heading looked familiar than it hit me that i started the thread :-)

Oh yes, I know all about that, that's why I'm looking at 1988-1987, even at 2500USD to bring it over to Vancouver it's worth it to bring a 1988 250D here.
cp

That sounds even better!
Dori Schmetterling wrote:

Interesting psychic analysis - and it may be true, who knows?
Juergen - preferring 4 wheels
"Juergen ." wrote:

^^^^^ GREEN
Sorry - my mistake!
Juergen

!!!!!!!!! How does it drive?
How's the engine compression and transmission?
Any rattling noises in the body like in a 200K mile Honda?