Re: How to read diagnostic codes from a car computer?

And I will bet that the code was a P0401 or a P0404... these are "no

> brainer" codes. Ford issued a TSB several years ago that "streamlined" the > diagnositcs for these codes.... "replace the DPFE and re-evaluate"..... > duhhhh!! > > My preferred solution is to ensure that my customer doesn't have a repeat > concern.... that my customer isn't standing in a parking lot looking over > the shoulder of a parts counter guess-man instead of pursuing his own > life.... In reality, my "preferred" solution isn't really mine... it is, > indeed, the customer that feels his time is better spent with his family, > his work or his recreation that looks to me for a one visit fix. This, I > deliver... with no need for he or she to look over my shoulder or worry > about repeat failures. > > You, sir, appear to have one experience with "free code reading" and came > out lucky..... OTOH, I am regularly presented with someone that is dipping > in to their rent money looking for a "cheap fix" - and now I am tasked > with undoing any damage that has been incurred along the way.... along > with resolving the original concern. For this, I am called many names.... > > For "free code reading" being a "valid" technique... I can hear the dice > rolling as I type..... I can assure you that the parts-person standing > with code reader in hand is no better versed in auto repair than the > hopeful victim standing helpless beside him. While spending 50 or 100 > bucks at a crack for guesswork may seem cheaper than biting the bullet, > those that need timely diagnosis and financially sound repair decisions > seem prone to opening themselves to unecessary expense.... > > If it was as simple as you believe, I'd be out of a job and I would never > again have to hear "but those other guys already have all my money"... > > You can just regard me as a conscientious dealer tech that has learned a > lot along the way... and one of those is that "cheap ain't". All one needs > to do is look at all the "try this" type of posts.... If we replace enough > parts, we will eventually fix the concern... > > Enjoy.... >

Jim, how many kids do you have? I'd suggest you would try to have more. My point is that good dealer techs should breed a lot more than they do today, otherwise they become extinct (intentionally no smiley here).

I would take my car to an expert like you any time and would happily pay more than I pay my dealer today, when I cannot avoid paying at all. The point is that so many seem to have so poor expertise at their dealers, so many dealers today first clear the fault code and hope it is gone, then try changing parts even if the problem is elsewhere and should be easy to identify from experience (and knowledge). The local dealers do not even seem to read the info they get from MB or the WIS.

Reply to
Me