Re: If you're hungry for power or fuel efficiency, beware of a scam like this one:

Page 4 of 4
boris wrote:

Hybrids usually use NiMH (nickel metal hydride) batteries. Generally, 500 to 1,000 full discharge/charge cycles is about the upper limit for the life of such a battery.
But hybrid cars don't discharge their batteries very deeply at all. So the above figures become somewhat meaningless. In that situation, what's important is the cumulative total energy taken from / returned to the battery. And just age and temperature related degradation.
We'll really have to wait and see as a history develops for this battery chemistry in this application.
John
Add pictures here
✖

Thanks for the info. What about plug-in cars (like Tesla)? Will their batteries die rather fast?
Boris
Add pictures here
✖
boris wrote:

I'd expect so - shorter life that those used in hybrids.
I haven't researched the battery types used in full-electric cars, but I'd expect them to be more exotic chemistries, selected with very strong emphasis on the energy-to-weight ratio.
John
Add pictures here
✖
I'm a little skeptical. Just because they warrant the batteries for 8 years/100K miles doesn't mean they'll last that long. After 100K, which could well happen well before 8 years, you get stuck with cost of battery replacement which I understand is around $6000. Assuming the best case scenario of the batteries lasting 100K it still adds $0.06/mile to your "fuel" cost, possibly more. The difference in fuel cost/mile from my motorcycle at 45mpg and my 300D at 27mpg is only $0.02/mile. SO what you wind up with after the warranty period is a worthless pile of junk that will likely have a bigger negative environmental impact from disposing the batteries and cluttering the junkyards than all the feelgood it generated.
JD
Add pictures here
✖
On Apr 11, 2:05 am, GP wrote:

Yes, but while drving it around town, the greenies get to feel like they are so much better than the rest of us and are doing something that will save the environment. That alone is priceless.
How about the news stories on the all electric cars or plug-in hybrids? They go on and on about how the cars emit zero or low emissions, but NEVER mention the electricity has to come from somewhere. If ever pushed on it, the greenies come up with the usual story, which is the electricity will come from wind and solar.... Yet when it comes time to actually implement that, who's blocking it? The greenies again, who don't want windmills offshore, in the desert, etc because that too is harmful to the environment.
Add pictures here
✖