Re: Lost 300E keys

North American dealerships use your VIN number and car ownership papers to verify that you are the registered owner, then they order the key from their prep facility in Baltimore, MD. Prices at dealerships vary, but should be around $25. If your local one is charging much more, find a another dealership. Copy keys, cut by locksmiths, tend to use a softer metal blade and wear out faster. You also run the risk of a less than perfect key screwing up the tumbers. The only downside to the new keys from the dealer . . . they are so sharp, they could ventilate some trouser pockets.

Reply to
MTI

"MTI" wrote: > North American dealerships use your VIN number and car > ownership papers to > verify that you are the registered owner, then they order the > key from their > prep facility in Baltimore, MD. Prices at dealerships vary, > but should be > around $25. If your local one is charging much more, find a > another > dealership. Copy keys, cut by locksmiths, tend to use a > softer metal blade > and wear out faster. You also run the risk of a less than > perfect key > screwing up the tumbers. The only downside to the new keys > from the dealer > .. . . they are so sharp, they could ventilate some trouser > pockets.

Thanks, MTI. That?s what I suspected. I will contact a dealer (or if too expensive) will shop around multiple dealers...

Reply to
steve

I thought the batteries had gone on my ML270 key, turns out the key had developed a fault.

I had to produce so much security info it was unbelievable, but I'm in favour of making sure they don't give the key to any old Tom / Dick / Harry.

But I had to chuckle that they needed proof of address. Dealership had collected the car from my house and whilst they weren't prepared to give me the spare in case I stole the car, they happily gave me the car to drive home.

Reply to
charles blassberg