Re-man Bosch diesel injectors

Sometimes I'm really glad I let my indy guy do the work on my '92 300D. She's way overdue for injectors and the bench test confirmed it. The first set of 5 factory rebuilt injectors only yielded 2 good units. The next three only yielded 1. It appears the next batch of 5 will come from California. Will we get a complete set eventually? Had I just ordered the parts and done them myself I wouldn't be any better off than when I started

*and* been out the cost of the injectors. I would have thought I could expect better from Bosch. I guess I'm lucky to have a mechanic who shoots straight and doesn't settle for crap parts.

JD

Reply to
JD

There are a bunch of places where you can buy MBZ parts e.g.

1
snipped-for-privacy@autohausaz.com 2
snipped-for-privacy@buymbparts.com 3
snipped-for-privacy@mr-auto-parts.com

At location 3 they had the following:

D1000-39655 Bosch 0.432.217.169 Bosch Diesel Injector List Price: $206.00 Core Price: $16.62 and Your Price: $58.89

Happy hunting :-)

Reply to
RF

Wow... that much off? What is his actual way of measuring the injectors? What were the readings he got?

I installed my Bosch reman diesel injectors... they were way better than my original injectors... by the smoke test.

I really don't know the measurement of these injectors I installed... however, I have extreme difficult in obtaining packets of shims to do any adjustments. Injectors are easy to get but the shims are difficult to find. I do not want to go to dealer to buy shims by piece.

Reply to
Tiger

Finding them at a good price isn't the issue, it's the fact that it took 13 injectors to get a set of 5 that passed the bench test. I don't have the dealer equipment to test these but my mech does. Had I ordered up 5 injectors and installed them assuming they were up to spec I'd have 3 of the 5 new injectors performing as badly as the ones with 200K miles on them. Pretty pathetic for a company with a reputation for precision (These were re-manufactured by Bosch, mind you). That's about a 65% failure rate. How may of us buy parts with a reputable name brand and install them with the assumption that they *must* be right. Like I said, I'm damned lucky to have a meticulous mechanic who makes sure it's right the first time.

JD

Reply to
JD

I have seen many similar reports on the net complaining about many of the Bosch injectors being bad right out of the box. The problems I've seen reported are both spray pattern and inconsistent pop pressure. Seems the feeling is that the ones made in India are the main source of the problem. It's really hard to understand. One would think using new nozzles and having access to basic test eqpt, it would not be hard to turn out product that was decent right out of the box.

After spending a considerable time researching what to do, I've decided to do mine myself. I'm in the process of assemblying the components to build my own pop tester. With that, not only can I rebuild them using new nozzles, but will then also have the ability to test them again at any time. Plus, I'm curious to see how the originals with 127K on them measure up when tested. For nozzles, I've decided to use Monark.

BTW, for the tester one part I haven't located yet is an old MB or VW fuel injector line to use to go from the test pump to the injector. If anyone has one they would be willing to sell, let me know.

For shims, MercedesSource.com has recently added them. They have them in small bags of like 6 in various sizes, all the way up to a complete set. They run about $1 for the largest set, more for the smaller sets. If anyone knows of any other sources, let me know.

Regarding shims, I have a question maybe someone here can answer. When adjusting the shims, is it OK to use two or more shims to make up the correct thickness or are you only supposed to use one shim? Reason I ask, MercedesSource is selling some very thin ones and advocating that as a way to more easily get the right size without having to have a whole family of them. But I'm left wondering if you one or more very thin ones, isn't there some risk the thin material could break apart?

Reply to
trader4

Great site... thanks! Did you know they have complete bench tester kit?

It looks like they made their own line... easy... 1/4" tube... with the crush coupler and the respective nut... These all should be able to be ordered at grainger... or McMaster-Carr website... but you want to be able to physically fit the part before purchase... try plumbing store. or even home depot for the valves you use in bathroom for toilet... or their loose packet parts supply.

Reply to
Tiger