Re: ML320 Harmonic Balancer

http://www.mercedesshop.com/shopforum/showthread.php3?s a90a664677acc92 f8d87c503d31150&threadidc512

Most of the newer MB engines have problems with the balancer. Most of the MLs have problems with the window switches and low range switches......
As stated previously, I would demand the balancer and upper oil pan if needed be replaced at their cost not yours..until they develop a balancer that wont break apart.
Do you have an extended warrantee?
No, I didn't get the extended warranty and I didn't think I needed one because of their reputation. This is my first Mercedes, and also my first car that's given me any kind of problem. I've owned many cars, American, Japanese and German, but the ML320 is by far the worst car I've ever owned.
With the help of this group, I've found a lot of information about the harmonic balancer problem. The dealer is reluctant to admit their is a problem, and the service manager said www.mercedesshop.com is a mercedes-bashing site, however I spoke to a service technician at another dealership and he not only knew of the problem, he knew exactly what the dealer would offer me - free parts and I pay for labor. It seems like this is Mercedes' way of trying to sweep the problem under the carpet, and get their customers to pay for a manufacturer's defect. No wonder they are ranked so low on JD Power.

These cars, regardless of class, an extended warranty is the way to go. They're super expensive to repair, a good 3rd party german car mechanic notwithstanding.
Good luck.

MLs
needed
wont
Yes, and sometimes using the term "goodwill" will get results as well. If the dealer is being hesitant, involved the MB zone rep.
- RODNEY
On Thu, 10 Jul 2003 01:56:30 GMT, "Ron Hoo"

I worked on a CLK320 in today with the same fault, 68k miles '99 car. Its chewed up the timing case and also taken out the poly belt and tensioner. We quoted around 1500 + vat for the total repair, and Mercedes are paying half under goodwill.
Parts were about 300, 13 hours labour. Looks like a bit of a bitch to change the timing case, I'll soon find out....
--

Lettuce spray for whirled peas...

Reply to usenet[at]miknik[dot]co[dot]uk