Re: NEVER BUY WALMART'S BATTERIES OR YOU WILL BE SORRY

Page 8 of 9
I'm pretty sure that this is a joke, but with a right wing tagline like that, I fear you just might be serious.
People, please get rid of batteries properly. The sulfuric acid might
just dilute, but there is a lot of lead in a battery, and we don't need that in our water.
Just as a peice of trivia, I read somewhere that the automobile battery recycling industry in America is one of the most efficient recycling programs in the world as far as the percentage of stock that comes back to the program and how much of that material is turned into saleable products.

Although, Even though I don't agree with Geoff's environmental views, I'd have to agree with the bike helmet thing.
I grew up in the first county in America to have a bike helmet law. I could see from my house the place where someone had cut a hole in the fence beside Route 29-a 6 lane limited access highway. Everyone knew that it was a stupid idea to cross 29, and it was rare that anyone did it, but some idiot kid crossed it at dusk and got hit by a car. So his sixth grade friends started lobbying to have a helmet law introduced. The rest of us thought it was silly. He was stupid enough to be out there playing in traffic, and getting hit by a car dong 60 would probably mess up someone badly enough regardless of protective gear. However, the county coudln't say no to a group of little kids asking for a law to save little kids. So, they passed a law that anyone under 16 had to have a helmet on to ride a bike.
Fortunately it wasn't actually enforced. I refused to wear one, and saw cops several times. Never anything mentioned about it. But this was just a few short years after seatbelt fines popped up. I'm sure the cops thought it was silly too. But the damn law spread like wildfire.
Now don't get me wrong. I think that seatbelt laws are necessary, and I wear mine religiously.(Especially since I definitely wouldn't be here without one.) I think that motorcycle helmet laws might be going a little far as far as encroaching on freedom, but I don't really have a problem with them since I think it is stupid to ride without one. Especially given that laying down a motorcycle is more a matter of when than if. However, I think that the risk of serious head injury on a bike is low as long as you are defensive and alert. I've rode literally thousands of miles as a kid, a college student, and an adult. I've rode in traffic on all sorts of roads, and have never been hit or been in an accident where I said, whoa that was close, maybe I should wear a helmet. I make my intentions clear to cars by where I place my bike on the road and how I move. The only time I wear one is when I go mountain biking, just because there can be some pretty bad obstacles to hit, and with funky terrain the odds of falling are much higher. I'd liken the paranoia behind major head trauma while biking to that of an extremely obsessive compulsive person who won't touch anything for fear of contracting an illness, and resultingly stinks up their workplace with continuous applications of purell and lysol.(Not that I've ever experienced such a neurotic screwball.)
I think that kids need to have an exposure to danger. It helps them develop a sense of cause and effect, and a sense of responsibility. The person who grows up in a society where accidents are almost impossible because someone has legislated out all possible causes is not going to do very well outside of that society. But more importantly, they don't learn to take responsibility for their actions. If they do get hurt, they are quick to assume that it was because someone else didn't do their job correctly, or somehow wrongly put them in harm's way, or that an owner should have predicted that it was possible for a freak accident to happen, and invested loads of money to prevent it. It's absurd. Nowadays, people are sooner to point the finger at someone else than to reflect on their own actions.
And as for today's world being a more dangerous place, I don't think that that really is the case. There are child abductions. But there were child abductions in the 30s. People do drive like maniacs now, but if my fathers stories of how he and his friends used to drive are any indication, I'd think that there used to be maniacs on the roads in the 60s also. In fact, I'd say that the number of cars that I see weaving in and out of traffic at thirty miles over what the flow of traffic is significantly lower today than 10 or 15 years ago. But then again, maybe I just have the wrong sample. Different areas of the country have different driving habits.
I love the allusion to the Christmas Story made by Geoff. Very nice.
Have a good day, Bill
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Bicycle helmet save lives. I think the laws are a good idea, and I think bicycle helmets should be mandatory for all people riding bicycles under the age of 110.
<http://jama.ama-assn.org/cgi/content/abstract/276/24/1968 <http://pediatrics.aappublications.org/cgi/content/abstract/110/5/e60

Yet the cars are controlled by drivers. Are the drivers noticing you? Are they distracted by kids, music, cell phones? Are you sure they can see you and your signals? Is the sun glaring in their eyes? Do they even know what the signals mean?
The data clearly show that bike helmets prevent serious injury and death.
As a physician, I have taken care of kids who been killed in motor vehicle crashes and kids who died from other causes.
I strongly feel that all people should be wearing bike helmets whenever they ride. I do.
Jeff
<...>
"Jeff" ...

Thanks, Jeff - you're absolutely right, but those who are determined to ditch helmets will never be convinced.
The actor Gary Busy nearly had his brain totally scrambled, said he would wear a helmet from then on, but still didn't believe helmets should be required.
You know what? If they want to scramble their brains, they have that right, but MY insurance rates are affected by their stupidity.
Ditto seat belts.
Natalie
[buying a battery at Costco]

When I bought a battery at Costco, I took the old one to my local Sears auto department. They have a pallet for old batteries sitting next to the building.
Geoff
-- "Is it true that Dorothy Parker named her pet parakeet Onan because he kept spilling his seed upon the ground?"                 -- David Mikkelson
writes:

That is good to know. Thanks.

The Costco "Kirkland Signature" Batteries are from Johnson Controls - "Eveready" and a few hundred 'house brands' for chain stores. But of course they can make those private label batteries to many different quality levels to meet the price point of the retailer.
Whoever makes the batteries for WalMart can deliberately skimp on the overall quality (life span, long term current capacity, etc.) to meet the price point target they are given.
--<< Bruce >>--
"Tom" ...

*snipped for brevity*
I had my oil cap come flying off while I was driving. Naturally, the car screeched terribly until I could pull over. I called them, and made the mechanics *come out and put some oil into the car*, and put the cap back on, so that I could drive back to have them get it *right* this time. They didn't even offer me any compensation (next time free or something)
I've taken my car to the dealer for oil changes ever since.
Natalie
had my oil cap come flying off while I was driving. Naturally, the car

There have been people who posted on this forum their experience at a dealer where they forgot to put the oil in the car (the mechanic had a long list of things that needed to be done).
If I cannot change my own oil, I always get my oil changed at a place where I can watch them do it. But I avoid the large national chain quick lubes like Jiffy Lube in favor of smaller chains that are locally owned (franchised).
"Mark A" ...

We don't really have a facility that can accommodate changing oil. We'd be charged for any stain on the concrete, for one.
It's just not worth the hassle to save the small amount of money, in our opinion.
Natalie
On Tue, 16 Oct 2007 17:40:22 -0400, "Wickeddoll"

The last time I used Spiffy Lube was because I had a broken foot and couldn't do it myself - and the only car that was running that had an Automatic was my old Corvair - everything else in the house was Stick.
I had to stand there (on crutches) and walk them through the entire process. Totally clueless - The "Manager" was barely shaving, and the other workers were fresh out of Junior High.
I brought an AC filter, I knew they wouldn't have one. The computer didn't have a procedure for "vintage cars" and they had to ask how much oil it took, which was the right drain plug, how to get the filter out without making a mess... (They still did, the "plastic bag over the filter trick" takes practice to pull off.)
About the only thing they *didn't* do was open up the trunk and go "Where the hell is the engine??" But I did have to open the trunk and show them where the Master Cylinder fill cap was...

If you are renting an apartment, you're stuck - unless the landlord is a gearhead, then he'll understand and set aside a maintenance area. With a strict "Clean up your mess when you're done" policy.
--<< Bruce >>--

I avoid those also. My 04 Sienna has been serviced only by the dealer I bought it from. I have been very pleased with their work.

Why make that distinction? The employees are drawn from the same local manpower pool, whether a place is part of a franchise or locally owned. And the likelihood of poor management/oversight is the same, one would think. (Why would the manager of a Jiffy Lube be any less motivated than the manager of a locally-owned shop?)
I stopped going to *any* oil change place after the "mechanic" at one of them failed to tighten my oil drain plug completely, and most of the oil drained out onto my driveway overnight. Either I do it myself, or I get my (independent) mechanic to do it.
Geoff
-- "Is it true that Dorothy Parker named her pet parakeet Onan because he kept spilling his seed upon the ground?"                 -- David Mikkelson

If you find a oil change place where the local owner has only one or two locations (whether part of large chain or not) then the local manager probably has an ownership interest and cares about the reputation of his business.
I have seen the same complaints posted about dealer oil changes just like the quick lube places. The key is to be able to watch them. That eliminates about 95% of the possible mistakes (failure to put in oil, failure to put on cap, use wrong oil, failure to change filter, etc).
writes:

Corporate pressure from above will have the Jiffy Lube mgr. more likely to rip you off.

I hardly think a profit motive is unique to those evil corporations.
Geoff
-- "Is it true that Dorothy Parker named her pet parakeet Onan because he kept spilling his seed upon the ground?"                 -- David Mikkelson
writes:

Profit is good, but Jiffy Lube is famous for making stealing into an art form, at least in one market area. Watch:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wiCAJ8ULnaI

writes:

Yeah...and my mechanic wonders why I want to commission a statue in his honor.
On Wed, 17 Oct 2007 13:49:14 GMT, "JoeSpareBedroom"

Ahh, the KNBC Sting of Jiffy Lube Et. Al. - but the sad part is, KNBC has done this same investigation several times before and caught the same crooks doing the same things, and the Corporate Spokesperson for the service chains say they are going to clean up their act and make sure it never happens again.
A year later they run the same sting and get the same results, nothing has changed...
Several of these chains have tried the same thing on 'Bait Cars" and the sting is being conducted by the California Bureau of Automotive Repair. And they get a big fine and their operating licenses on probation, and again they go back to 'business as usual' when it's over. Sears damn near lost their licenses several times.
--<< Bruce >>--
writes:

Someday, one of these repair places will pull the same stunt on the wrong person and...