Re: Relay has double contacts ?? why

This message was previously posted on alt.auto.mercedes,

> sci.electronics.components, sci.electronics.repair > > The glow plug relay on my diesel Mercedes, an 83 300SD has two sets of > parallel contacts but only uses one because the other has a gap of about > 0.035" when the first set closes. I thought this was due to improper > alignment and I bent the other arm so that both would make contact. The > other day I found another relay and noticed that it had one set of contacts > spaced so they didn't close. Are there any experts out there that can tell > why they do this? My guess is that the open set is a spare for when the > first set wears too much. But that doesn't make sense because two sets > working in parallel wouldn't wear as fast. Also would like to know if > anyone has reversed engineered the circuit as it has an IC and a couple > transistors. The circuit acts as monitor to make sure glow plug no. one is > drawing current and then turns a dash light indicating that the plugs are > heating and when it goes out in a few seconds it OK to hit the starter.

FWIW, only one set looks like full current contacts. IMO, it may be a relay used for other purposes and they don't want to run current through the light duty points.

NSM

No other use than supplying power to the glow plugs, turning a dash lamp on and off, that's it.

Reply to
Henry Kolesnik

There's no other purpose, dash lamp and glow plugs.

Reply to
Henry Kolesnik

This is my best guess. N

Reply to
NSM

Reply to
Andy

The picture doesn't imply this. I suspect they don't want to run current through the second pair.

NSM

Perhaps the second pair of contacts make a momentary connection during the initial closure, then spring back?

...Jim Thompson

Reply to
Jim Thompson

that is exactly what i suggested also. i have seen that config before used as a peek and hold relay.

Reply to
Jamie