Re: Synthetic Oil: The Bottom Line

i'd do the same
Although I haven't been able to find it, I understand the best oil for diesel are Delvac based, i.e. Mobil Delvac 15-40W.
'99 E300

15-40W is good. they sell that to me when I ask for oil and I dont deside myself. otherwise I just go for a plain 5-40W or 10-40W
The 'debate' is only between those who accept the manufacturer's recommended interval and those who don't. The latter prefer to change more frequently.
I have had diesel- and petrol-engined vehicles and I follow the manufacturer's recommendation. I believe changing more frequently is a waste of money but is cheaper than therapy for those who worry about it.
DAS

True,
I think that the Delvac and NOT Mobil 1 is the correct oil for a diesel.
Another positive for synthetics that you didn't mention is that they provide a greater operating range in temperatures. So you diesel will start better on a cold day.
My preference is to follow the instructions on the OIL not on the car, unless the oil is the type recommended by the car vendor.
In other words, if Mercedes recommended Synthetic oil, follow the MB schedule, otherwise follow the synthetic oil vendor recommendation.
snipped-for-privacy@u1.netgate.net (Geoff Miller) wrote:

Note that at http://mobil.com/USA-English/Lubes/Product_Information/Automotive_Engine_Oils_Collection.asp only "Mobil 1 Truck and SUV" is listed for use in diesels.
Also, http://mobil.com/USA-English/Lubes/Product_Information/Engine_Oils___Diesel_Collection.asp is where you find the Delvac series as mentioned by others.
Miller" writes:

*heh* You might like to check the meaning of "lubricity". (Of course, you _may_ be right.) Would "lubrication" work better? -- Andrew Stephenson
No actually, lubricity would be the word.
--
Paul Hoffman snipped-for-privacy@cogeco.ca or snipped-for-privacy@mcmaster.ca
Burlington ON

According to Merriam-Webster Online, it means "the capacity for reducing friction," which was how I used it.

Well, if you were at all uncertain, why didn't you take a moment to look up the word yourself before posting? My God, man, think of the wasted bandwidth! Have you no shame?

No. Lubrication is what oil does. Lubricity is the quality it has which allows it to do that. I learned the word years ago when I used the pseudo-word "lubricatibility," and the person I was talking to touted me to the actual word "lubricity." I was insufferably smug for the better part of a fortnight.
Geoff
--
"A foolish consistency is the knob-gobblin' of small minds."

Miller" writes:

I wallow in ashes, whilst wearing my best Savile Row sackcloth.
Is this one of those threads which starts with a light-hearted go at pointing out that a word may not be suited to a job (like the wrong spanner, say) then goes nuclear through humour impairment?
I did look it up -- not in the Merriam-Webster Online but in the Concise Oxford Ninth Edition on my machine. It showed (as I had expected) that a case _could_ be made for using "lubricity" but it depends on what note the user wishes to strike. Lubricity is a word (like "fulsome") whose meaning has drifted in the common mind, to the point where its unqualified use is unsafe.
FWIW, here's what _my_ tame expert has to say. NB #2 and #3:
lubricious adj. (also lubricous) 1 slippery, smooth, oily. 2 lewd, prurient. 3 evasive. lubricity n. [Latin lubricus slippery]
IOW, the sort of word Oscar Wilde might mix into a gibe. If that was what you meant to say, go for it. In a borderline case like this, it may be wise to explore other ways of phrasing the idea. This goes double in international fora. YMMV.

But ultimately you made a complete recovery, right? ;-) -- Andrew Stephenson
Whilst we are consuming bandwidth....
AskOxford Online -- a 'proper' English ref :-) -- gives the really helpful "lubricious" as the answer to a search on "lubricity"...
http://www.askoxford.com/results/?view=searchresults&freesearch=lubricity&branch=&textsearchtype=exact
In defence of this search engine I must say that it refers only to the Compact Oxford...
The Hyperdictionary is more helpful:
http://www.hyperdictionary.com/search.aspx?define=lubricity
\Lu*bric"i*ty\, n. [L. lubricitas: cf. F. lubricit['e].] 1. Smoothness; freedom from friction; also, property, which diminishes friction; as, the lubricity of oil. --Ray.
(Webster's 1913!)
This is better than twiddling my thumbs...
DAS

If you are talking about the technical engineering characteristics of oil, lubricity has only one meaning. If you are talking about the general use of the word in common english use, it may get somewhat ...

Actually, they do and have done for a number of years.
Huw

What do modern MB diesels come with for factory oil?
<William P.N. Smith> wrote in message wrote:

These are the oils used for factory fill depending on model. All of these are full synthetic. Aral SuperTronic M Elf Excellium 229.5 5W30 Fuchs Titan Supersyn SL MB HiTec Synthetic Motorenl (DC itself) Mobil SHC Formula MB Motorex Profil M-XL Shell Helix Ultra AB Shell Helix Ultra DC 229.5 Total Quartz 229.5 5W30
Mobil 1 SuperSyn 0W-40 (first fill AMG) Mobil 1 SuperSyn 5W-50 (first fill SLR-McLaren)
A comprehensive knowedge base can be found here and I acknowledge the above information is to be found within
http://www.whnet.com/4x4/oil.html
Huw