Re: W140 50,000 mile service - What should it cost?

I second T.G on that.

Regarding service centers, sometimes it takes a while to find a good independent but there are ones out there that can make maintaining your MB a reasonable propostion. I have posted this following link a few times but have seen no feedback from anyone using these shops. It is from Mercedes Mailing list which has good information in general.

Scott D.

I'm just curious as to how bad I'm getting done in by my dealer. > > I have a 99 S420 with 50,000 miles on it. Last year, while still under > warranty, they replaced the hydraulic door system, and the air

conditioning

compressor for me, and I paid for the "A" service and to have the rear brake > pads replaced. > > This time, out of warranty, they've had my car two days. They are doing a > service which includes replacing the coolant, topping off brake fluid, > checking a variety of things, changing the oil, spark plugs, oil filter, and > gasoline filters. They advise me that I need a new "poly" belt which > drives certain accessories including the air conditioning compressor. I > also need new brake pads, this time the front pads, as they advise me they > did only the rear pads 10,000 miles ago (one year) when I had it in last > time. > > First tell me what you think this work should cost. Then check below to > see what I'm being charged. And since I've already agreed to be hosed over > this time, does anybody have a good independent mechanic for the W 140 > series in San Jose, California. > > Thanks. > > And the answer is: $1,580.00 not including tax or oil disposal charges.. > > Anybody know how many miles one can expect out of a 99 S420 without major > engine or suspension problems assuming good roads, normal commutes. > >
Reply to
Scott D

The two shops you've listed in Palo Alto are the closest to San Jose, but really too far away to be practical. I'll ask around and if I find someone good, I'll post it.

Reply to
GSXR1000