Rear Bose Premium Sound Woofer, 1998 C280 Sport:

My 1998 C280 sport /w Bose premium sound has a "rattle", I guess is the best way to describe it, in the rear deck. I am not able to discern whether this
is something loose, like a screw, or a clipping weld in the voice coil.
Has anyone else had similar rattles in the bass/sub region from the rear deck caused by something loose, or is it more likely a blown speaker?
Does anyone know of a cheap place to order a replacement?
Thank You in advance for any help!
Art
You have to physically check the speakers to see if it is loose or not... if it is a metal rattling, you got something loose.
If it is more like static or pop when you turn the volume up, then it is blown speaker. Any speaker will work as long as it is same size, you do not need to buy "Bose" speaker. That is just a waste of money. All Bose does is take a mediocre speaker and just optimize their processor to work the best frequency range of that speaker. With that in mind, when you replace one... replace the other side to balance out the sound quality.
Art, The Bose system in your car is doomed to fail. The worst part is the Bose drivers which cannot be replaced correctly with anything except the exact driver because, unlike every aftermarket driver sold, Bose drivers are not four ohms. MB dealers charge obscene money for Bose parts. Almost every car stereo place in the country advocates removal of the timed destruct Bose parts and replacing with real coxial speakers and a CD head unit along with a real car amplifier to drive them. The sound would be much better and very reliable, and all four ohms. P.

This I agree... however, I'd continue to use factory head and tie it into new aftermarket system.