rear brakes: shim or no shim?

How do I know if I need rear brake pads with or without shims (both are offered)? Also, why do I apply the anti-squeal lubricant? Thanks, Richard

If you don`t know that , Don`t work on brakes....

I think most Mercs don't have the shims. The lubricant is required when there are no shims, you apply it sparingly to the back of the pad, where it contacts the piston, DO NOT GET ANY ON THE FRICTION MATERIAL!
If you don't use the lubricant then you may get squealing when the brakes are applied.
If you buy the pads with shims then you shouldn't need the lubricant.
size=2>...</FONT></DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2>&gt; How do I know if I need rear brake pads with or without shims (both are<BR>&gt; offered)? Also, why do I apply the anti-squeal lubricant?<BR>&gt; Thanks,<BR>&gt; Richard<BR>&gt; <BR>&gt; </FONT></BODY></HTML> ------=
Brett, if you want to see what it's like to be helpful, you could try reading Mick J's response.
I know the stock pads don't have shims, but I'm going to use MetalMasters this time. I just don't get it, but why don't I put brake lube on the back of the shims? Could it hurt anything to use shims and lube? Thanks, Richard

It won't hurt anything if you use lubricant with the shims.