rear center latch on 380 SL wont fully engage

The rear center latch on my rag top wont go in the hole 100% when I engage the handle to pull it tight to the trunk. Dont know what changed overnight to cause this?!
The latch does go in the hole OK and it does catch, but when I pull the handle to draw it tight, I can see the black rubber grommet that fits over the male end. It doesnt seem to be going in far enough. Any help is appreciated. Jeff