rear diff seal oil leak E230

I have an oil leak on my 96 E230 from one of the seals on the differential the 'bit' that goes to the wheel ). Does anyone know if this is a difficult job to undertake?. My local independent garage advises that so
seals are 'external' and can be changed simply. If its an 'internal type' seal then it would have to go to a dealer.
Any advise would be appreciated.
On Tue, 28 Oct 2003 13:07:38 -0000, "henry cat"

Pinion seal or lateral seal?
You can do the pinion seal without removing the diff, for a lateral seal you need to remove the diff and backplate as the output flanges are circliped in.
Its easy with a ramp and air tools, but not really for the uncertain at home on your back with a couple of adjustable spanners...
FWIW, if it isn't bad, I wouldn't even worry about it, its not uncommon for them to leak a bit. Also ensure it is actually a seal leaking, and not just run down from the breather on the top of the diff
--

Lettuce spray for whirled peas...

Reply to usenet[at]miknik[dot]co[dot]uk
thanks for this ... After looking it's looks like it is coming from the top breather.
wrote:

differential
type'