Rear right window quit working in 99E300TD

The rear right window on my 99 E300TD made a strange sound as I was lowering it yesterday and quit working, halfway down. I had to manually pull it up shut. Is this a common problem? Hope it is not an expensive fix?

Thanks-Raj

Reply to
gator_mech

Yes it is a known problem, pure engineering design. I have a 2001 E320 T, both the front window and the rear window regulator died. The plastic slide part snapped both cases, unfortunately the replacement window regulator has the same week plastic part, so it will break again and again, I guess Mercedes does not care about Quality anymore, other wise they would redesign the part. During the 5 years the rear window was used not more than 50 times, the right front window maybe 100 times both of them break at the same place.

Reply to
PM

I had the symptoms with my 1997 E320. Perhaps you have the same problem. I had to replace the window operator. This is a mechanical device utilizing two pulleys and a wire. It attaches to the bottom of the window. It is driven by an electric motor. Fortunately the motor did not need to be replaced, the wire/pulley assembly had failed. The replacement parts cost about $150.00, and took me about four hours to replace. To get at the window lift mechanism you need to remove the upholstery on the inside of the door. To do the work you need your normal small tools plus a pop rivet tool, and an electric drill to remove the old rivets.

HTH, EJ in NJ

Reply to
Ernie Willson

I think the biggest problem is that the seals used to keep the window airtight are too grippy and sticky that when you open your window, you hear a rip sound... this is high stress for the motor to break.

So the solution is to excercise your window to prevent that sticking or apply wax or some kind of safe lubricant to prevent the sticking... maybe silicone is a choice.

Reply to
Tiger