Rear tire wear on 2003 C280 Sedan

We have a 2003 C280 Kompressor Sport Sedan that has gone through both rear tires in 25,000 miles. The fronts are both still fine. The car is driven by my wife and I doubt she is unusually hard on this car. This kind of tire
wear was not evident on her previous car, a 2000 BMW 3 series.
Is there anything I should know, that's peculiar to this problem, before replacing the tires?? Thanks.
Try rotating your tires every year.
in article pMmDc.9064$ snipped-for-privacy@news4.srv.hcvlny.cv.net, Tiger at snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote on 6/26/04 3:28 PM:

Thank you for your reply but I can't really tell if it's completely serious or not. I presume you mean that tires should get more than 25,000 miles if they are rotated?? The car is only 15 months old, so having rotated them 3 months ago, while helpful, would not seem to be the entire solution. My question is more along the lines of whether the car is particularly prone to rear tire wear or not. My previous experience, with the BMWs I've owned, was that tires got better wear.
Is the tire Z rated? Like the manual says, Z rated tires will wear faster since they are a performance tire than H rated tires.
wrote on 6/26/04 3:28 PM:

in article ppLDc.167275$ snipped-for-privacy@fe2.columbus.rr.com, Guido at snipped-for-privacy@neo.rr.com wrote on 6/27/04 7:30 PM:

The tires are W rated. The Continental site says they are rated up to 168 mph while Z's are as "over 149mph". Sounds like these tires may be even higher performance. The car is the Sport model, and I noticed that the spare is a Michelin (looks like a full-size tire), and not the same as what's on the car.......... so that could be the issue. Sounds like something in a low-profile, but a little less 'flamboyant' may be required.
Hi... yes I mean it. Because as you know it... two tires wear out 50% faster than that other two...so by rotating every year, you balance out the wear and this you get longer tire life before you replace them.
It also depends on what tire you buy too... I personally always buy tires that have high wear rating yet maintain the ZR (or other above 149MPH ratings).. Bridgestone RE750 is my favorite 3-seasons only tires (will last about 45,000 miles properly rotated)... I always use snow tires for winter.
Whichever tire you buy... the higher treadwear rating, the longer it will last you. I suggest you do some research at Tirerack before you go buy new tires...
If you have abnormal wear... like center wear... or two side wear... or even one sided wear, you must have an alignment done... or your new tires will wear out very fast.
I suggest people do their alignment every two years unless you see some abnormal tire wear. Every year is just too often and time consuming... plus it cost you more than the tires itself.
I personally have not had my car aligned for 4 years now... and tires wear perfectly. I know I am overdue but unless I see something seriously wrong... then I will do it.

In my experience with a 97 c230 and a 2002 c320, that is about right. My 97 goes through 4 tires in about 20-22k (driven by wife, always rotated and balanced every 5k miles, and 4 wheel alignment every year). The tires that came with car, Continentals, were nearly bald at 18k miles. The dealer agreed to comp me two front tires. They said this kind of wear was normal, but I still think the mileage was excessively low for tires to wear out.
My c320 just had all 4 replaced at 26k miles. I probably could have gotten another 3-4 out of the front ones, but didn't want to bother.
I am now sticking with tires with a mileage warranty instead of the OEM tires (ie: Continental, Michelin) that have no mileage warranty.
HTH...
in article snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com, KS at snipped-for-privacy@farnxrznvy.pbz wrote on 6/27/04 9:00 PM:

This really sounds like much less tire life than I've been used to. If you see my other reply in this thread, it's likely because the Sport Model comes with high performance tires than don't wear like those I'm used to. I'm used to Michelins anyway, so that's likely where I'll be headed.