Rear Window Defogger

The rear window defogger on my '79 300D has stopped working. Before I start replacing components, what are the most common causes of these failing, and where best to start?

Thanks in advance...

Reply to
randallbrink

The 99.9% failure is the strip fuse in the fuse holder by the top of the drivers front shock.....

Reply to
Karl

drivers front shock.....

Thank you very much. This sounds like a quick fix for a change, and I appreciate the help.

Reply to
randallbrink

drivers front shock.....

Is that a glass fuse inside the square box on top of the wheel well, or is it a fuse inside the fusebox on the firewall aft of the wheelwell?

Reply to
randallbrink

It should be a 30 amp strip fuse in the holder. Here is what a strip fuse looks like:

drivers front shock.....

Reply to
Karl

looks like:

drivers front

Hmm. Well, I didn't see anything in the fusebox that looked like that, but then again, I didn't know what I was looking for. I only saw the typical colored white and red fuses. I will analyze this again in the morning. Thank you--this is most helpful, as I would never have know what to look for otherwise.

Reply to
randallbrink

The 99.9% failure is the strip fuse in the fuse holder by the top of the drivers front shock.....

like:

the drivers front

Reply to
Karl

drivers front shock.....

pm, "Karl" wrote:

the drivers front

I checked again, and the only thing near the top of the wheel well, driver's side, is a square plastic box, with two large relays inside, and a plastic in-line fuseholder with a very small red and while glass fuse inside. No strip fuse(s). Also, there are no strip fuses in the fuse box on the driver's-side firewall. I am at a loss as to where this 80A strip fuse is located on my car.

Reply to
randallbrink
79 123 body should be fuse #10 in the main fuse box. :)

drivers front shock.....

7:16 pm, "Karl" wrote:

top of the drivers front

message