Rear Windshield Trim 1976 MB 240D

I just replaced the rear windshield gasket on my 1976 240D, but I'm unable to reinstall the bright aluminum trim. The gasket has a chanel designed to accept the molding, but the gasket chanel does not open to
the the trim. Any ideas on how to overcome this problem?
thanks
regards <a href=http://unificationwars.xeepo.com/ online</a> <a href=http://unificationwars.0catch.com/ free</a> <a href=http://www.stormloader.com/users/unification/ MMOG</a>