Remanufactured Engine from Metric Motors Makes 1982 300 TDT like new!

I have my remanufactured engine from Metric Motors in the car and running good. My 1982 300 TDT has never run this good since I got it. It had 144,000 miles on it when I bought it in 1993. The
remanufactured engine runs great. It has a solid, even smooth feel as you go down the road. Pinning the speedometer is no problem.
It starts instantly when the very first cylinder goes past TDC, and when you shut it off, it stops instantly too because of the high compression. I had Mike at Metric put in new sleeves and use new standard pistons, so the engine is really just like new.
I had trouble with the EGR valve not sealing. I decided to just close it off, so I cut a gasket out of exhaust gasket material (the kind with a metal layer in the middle) and put in a gasket with no opening. So I don't have all that carbon recycling through the engine, I am running on clean air only. I live in a remote desert location and we do not have to have our cars smog tested in my county, so I will be able to keep the motor set up like that.
I also put in a new AC evaporator, compressor, cleaner and expansion valve. I got it charged with R-12. I had put in a new mono valve and electronic control unit recently and the climate control works just like new too. It gently adds just enough heat or cooling to keep the interior at the temperature you set the thermostat to. All the vacuum actuators are new and everything works just like it was designed to.
I replaced the backup lights and RPM sensor yesterday.
I want to get a separate power amp and a better 12" subwoofer in my boom box and then the sound system, which is already very good, will totally kick ass.
I put in a new cruise control actuator last winter and I put in a re- engineered cruise control amplifier too, so the cruise works perfectly.
I removed the entire interior when I put in the AC evaporator and had everything cleaned and put in all new custom top of the line sheepskin on the seats and headrests and armrest. In part of my business I create fine mahogany cabinets for retail displays. I used my workshop and skills to make solid mahogany pieces to replace the fake walnut on the dash and console, so I have solid real red mahogany in the interior.
Mike put a block heater in for free, so now I have a car that I can drive to Minnesota in the winter if I want to visit my family there.
So I am riding in a deluxe like new Mercedes of the old hand made vintage, but it looks like a pretty basic old car even though the clear coat finish is still like new, so I travel under the radar.
Whoa... that's tremendous amount of work. Congrats! Did you take care of your steering system yet?

I have replaced everything in the steering, including the coil springs, front and rear. I just returned from a 2000 mile shakedown cruise to Moab, UT and back. There is a problem with the drive line that makes a noise under load. I think I need to adjust the transmission mount or maybe there is a loose bolt on one of the flex disks. I have to check that.
The engine runs great though, and as it breaks in, it seems to be getting even more and more powerful.
"TDT" stands for "Touring Diesel Turbo." A touring car, in Germany, is what a station wagon is called. The parts guy at the dealership in Seattle explained that to me right after I bought the car in 1993.
I thought BMW uses "Touring". Another manufacturer has mean "Tounier"
Certainly a 300T is a 3 litre (approx!) estate (station wagon)
DAS
"heav" < snipped-for-privacy@inyopro.com> wrote in message
news: snipped-for-privacy@o80g2000hse.googlegroups.com...
What's a 300TDT? I have a 1982 300TD Turbo Wagon. I've never heard of the extra "T." Also, what did you pay to have the engine reubuilt? I'm assuming it is the 3.0 liter 5 cylinder?
Thanks, and congats on all the retsoration work!

The last T denotes Turbo. You won't see it on the car, it is mainly in paperwork. A 76 to 80 wagon would be a 300TD. A sedan from 82 to 85 is a 300DT, 76 to 81 is a 300D.