Remote starter

Now that I've accepted the fact that it'll be at least another month before we get our E500 wagon, I am beginning to think about what it will be like once we get it. Both our present vehicles are after market equipped with a remote starter. Life here in the Nevada desert can get very hot during the summers. The remotes we presently have permit us to leave the auto's engines running for short trips into a store, or start them remotely prior to leaving a store or restaurant. This gives the cooling system time to cool the interior on a hot day.

The cars cannot merely be driven off, since depressing the brake or placing the car in gear without the key in the ignition deactivates the engine.

Our E500 will be equipped with the keyless go system Mercedes offers. Does anyone know of a remote starting system that will work with it?

Homer

Reply to
Homer Simpson

AFAIK, there is no option for remote starting on any MBZ that uses SmartKey. On the old systems that used the bade keys with a chip, there was a way to install an aftermarket remote start system. I believe what they would do was to break the metal blade off of the valet key, then "embed" the chip into the system so it could be read by the ECM. With Keyless Go, you could enter the vehicle, start it, and then lock it and walk away, thus leaving it running without the key in it. Of course the vehicle could still be stolen, but once the engine is shut down, it could not be restarted without the key. I'm sure that is not the answer you wanted, but it's all I am aware of.

Reply to
Rodney T. Grill

With keyless go you can not lock the car from the outside with the engine running.

Reply to
Joe C

I believe you can using the "emergency" blade key.

Reply to
Rodney T. Grill

A remote start can be used with ANY fuel injected car. The GM Passlock system was the big problem over the last several years, but there is now an interface which anygood car stereo dealer can employ. Anyone who installs any of Directed Electronic's starters (Snake brand- Viper, Sidewinder, etc.) can install in any MB. P.

Reply to
pkmaven

The wagon has the keyless go system. Will that make a=20 difference?

Homer

--=20 =D0=CF=11=E0=A1=B1=1A=E1

Reply to
Homer Simpson

GM's system uses a static "code", if you can even call it that. It's actually reading a resistor on the key. Those interfaces they sell simply measure the resistance from the key, store the value and then duplicate it, thus fooling the ECM. There are even very easy ways to totally disable the GM system without any special interfaces.

MBZ's SmartKey system uses a digital rolling code to communicate with the ECM. Without receiving the correct code, the ECM will not allow the engine to start. Keyless Go is the same implementation, but instead of requiring the code to be transmitted via an infrared signal through the ignition switch, it receives the signal via a two-way radio frequency communication. The way I see it, there are only two methods where an aftermarket remote start system could be implemented. One, would be for MBZ to provide some sort of interface to allow this and the other is that the ECM would have to be modified or replaced so that it does not require the coded message. We all know that MBZ's track record for providing electronic interfaces for third party accessories (as in they don't) so the only other option I see is to modify the ECM or replace it with one that would allow engine starting without the coded message from the SmartKey. Personally, I wouldn't screw around with the ECM on my MBZ.

Reply to
Rodney T. Grill