Removing Climate Control Module from 1987 420 SEL

Hi:
My climate control unit is wonky on my 1987 420 SEL and I purchases a replacement. Can anyone tell me how to remove the wood covering that sits in
front of the climate control unit without breaking it ?
Pull out ashtray. Remove insert. Get phillips head screwdriver and remove the 2 screws in the rear. Pull out ashtray assembly. Get a stubby phillips screwdriver and remove the 2 screws going up in the bottom edge of the a/c wood. Pull out wood from bottom and top will come loose. A/C module is attached to the wood.
What is wrong with yours??