Removing Steering Wheel of '83 240D

I have been trying to remove the dash panel from this car and it cannot come out with the steering wheel in place.
The steering wheel is the type with the
countersunk hex screw and I have just spent 1/2 hour trying to remove it. I have the 10 mm hex wrench but unfortunately it is about 1/4" too short to come well clear of the wheel itself because the screw is way down in a hole in the column- under the MBZ badge.
I attached a short piece of pipe to the end of the wrench and whacked it many times, cclockwise - assuming the screw is right handed. Why would it need to be left handed in that situatiion? I then tried going the left handed route but it won't budge that way either. I used some easing oil around the screw but it didn't help.
Another disadvantage is that the depth of the hole in the screw for the hex key is only 1/4".
TIA
Get a socket that has an Allen end on it. This way you can use an extension and a breaker bar to loosen the screw.
--
Roger Shoaf