removing steering wheel with airbag

My windshield wiper switch quit working the other day and needs to be replaced. This is the combination switch on a stalk that controls the turn signals and high-beam as well. To replace it I have to remove the steering
wheel which is equipped with an airbag, and that makes me nervous. I have the service manual on cd and it gives what looks like complete instructions for the procedure, but I'm still wondering if I should try it. Any experience with how easy or difficult this job is? What are the chances that I'd blow the airbag and end up with a much bigger bill than if I had taken it to a mechanic in the first place?
Thanks,
Bill Balmer 1986 190E 2.3-16
Blow an airbag? Ya if you try to short it with positive wire... Just disconnect your battery first... this eliminate 100% of bag igniting... then remove the orange wire harness under your dash and that furthers protect the airbag.
If you for some reason blew your airbag... not likely, I got a spare for you. Anyone needs an airbag off my 190E part car?