Repainting a different color

Hi all,

I'm buying a 2000 S500 that I found for an incredible price - the only catch is that I don't really like the color (it's a light blueish silver). Does anyone know what my options are vis-a-vis repainting it silver or black and what that might cost? Should I have a Mercedes dealer do the painting, or is it safe to have a another reputable shop do it? Or should I just forget it and try to like its current color? ;)

I got such a good deal on the car that I figure I wouldn't mind spending some dough getting it just the way I want.

Any advice appreciated! Dev

Reply to
Devon

Don't do it... period. Factory finish will last forever... any paint job will last 3 years before some rust comes out... plus chaning color cost $$$$... Expect about $5000+ for that kind of job.

If you really hate that color... trade it in for something else.

Reply to
Tiger

If you pay cheap for paint application, that's what will happen, but that doesn't rule out a respray by a shop that knows what it's doing.

When respraying a dramatically different color, be aware that there'll be additional costs in doing the inside door jambs and other openings, like the trunk and probably the engine bay area. If the color change isn't too dramatic, then you might get away with leaving the engine bay alone, otherwise it will look odd.

A color change, unless properly done, will negatively affect resale values, so do it if you intend to keep it.

Reply to
MTI

Reply to
Devon

I think you will.......

Conversely, this year I searched for 3 months for the right spec car, but it could not be metallic Silver - in the UK almost 90% of MB seem to imported in Silver, and it's just boring.

Eventually I caved in. The car was right, and I have learned to live with the Silver. Your Horizon Blue is a great color for a MB.

David

Reply to
David J

Could be worse, I've got two willow green ones (a w124 and a w201). I got the w124 first, and I swear I wasn't looking for it, but when I found a good w201 for the GF it turned out to also be willow green.

We're talking a rare color here...!

http://213.84.196.8/mb250a.jpghttp://213.84.196.8/mb190a.jpg It looks a bit silly in the drive way...

Ximinez (not too fond of willow green)

Reply to
The Spanish Inquisition

Live with it if you can, my 1990 560 sec will be repainted this year, not a colour change but in the same metallic black, I'm paying to have it done correctly to show standard and with all the various bit's an pieces such as new seals and trim I'll be lucky to get change from £6000.

I could probably get a 'blow over' for under £1000 but it really isn't the same thing, and the cars being done for me to keep as I've wanted one of these for 20 years....one day it might even be worth something!

Alan M

Reply to
Alan Mudd

Metallic silver is not just 90% of MBs in UK, it's a large chunk of EVERY car...

Could not find the colour in the MB UK configurator but if Horizon Blue is what I think it is, I think it's very smart. Currently I have silver metallic (190) and Obsidian Black metallic (CLK CaB)... will change if I can next time, but that's quite a way off.

DAS

Dori A Schmetterling

I don't care how much you spent on paint job... rust will come. I spent $3000 and rust came because they didn't catch it in the first place... and some prep is just not good. Finish was awesome but the car's inherent rust spot if not known by the body shop... will miss it and ruin the whole job down the road.

Reply to
Tiger

Surely you're not suggesting that repainting causes rust . . . haven't we all seen rust on Mercedes with their original paint? Your bad experience hardly condems the autopainting business.

Reply to
MTI

Tiger spoke of pre-existing rust.

RTFP where P = post ;-))