repair costs on lexus vs. mercedes

Page 2 of 3
I agree. As I said before, if you can't tell the difference between the ride of an eclass and a low end lexus, you should buy a lexus, and you should probably be on a different board.
The Lexus LS cars are no doubt comparable, but at least give me at least some styling if you want me to plunk down that much cash....
Some of us like cars for the way they ride/handle AND the way they look. We appreciate the classic design, and I don't think there's anything timless about a Lexus........
Of course some might disagree....

My comments were meant to address reliability/maintenance costs... as for styling... MB is tops (in my book anyway!).
Chris: I owned a '90 SPG up until last year. Still dear to me ;-)

Love those old saabs- was just looking to get a newer 900, but realized while driving a few that saab no longer exists as w knew and loved it. It's just another gm brand now. (with the exception of the 9-5 which is still a saab).

[...]

Where I live, A/C is not an option, it's a necessity. We average over 100 days a year of 100+ degree temperatures. It'll be 116 here tomorrow.
Lights dimming is *nothing* compared to losing your A/C in the desert. That can be life-threatening.
--Paul ** Note "removemunged" in email address and remove to reply. **
If you don't want to believe J.D. Power, then go look at Consumer Reports and read their owner survey results. They closely parallel the J. D. Power results. You can doubt those results, too. Some people like to make up excuses when confronted with a reality they don't like. Does not change the reality, though.
Lexus is not a older person's brand any more than MB or BMW are. They all cost too much for most young people to buy. All the brands know this, are a little threatened by it and are doing something to try to deal with it, especially BMW.
Toyotas problem is that they have almost always chosen to build extremely reliable, but not very exciting cars. There are exceptions like the Supra (especially the TT which is still a living legend in California street racing circles), some Celicas, the MR2, but not many. All Toyota needs to fix their image problem is to build something like the WRX or Evo that young drivers can afford (or at least aspire to) and that is fun to drive. They certainly can do it if they want, but the corporate culture seems against it. The spin-off brand of off-beat inexpensive cars aimed at the young unemployed male is an interesting (goofy?) idea which I suspect will fail. Hope so. Then maybe they'll try the WRX halo-effect approach.
--

- GRL

"It's good to want things."

I never said that BMW or MB weren't old people brands, but BMW is marketing their brand (especially the 3 series here) to younger people (older then I but younger then say people in their late 30's). And while people may not like it, those 2 brands are here to stay. They're now cultural icons about the American life. And for every brand that our family has had none has been perfect, there were cars that were better then others some that were worse. I've had the pleasure of being able to drive a Consumers Digest Best Buy car for a few years, a new Buick LeSabre. The first time it rained one windshield wiper wouldn't work. Later the intake manifold broke. I'm not saying that people shouldn't believe them, but would you take advice from a stranger about how to spend your money ? All in all, if I buy a car I'll go with ones that I want, not what others say to get. I also agree that Toyotas are extremely reliable, my neighbor has a 96 Camry and nothing's gone wrong while I have another neighbor that has a Lexus LS200 (or something like that) and he has over 250,000 miles without any major problems. Like this quote says best "Jim Press the chief operating officer of Toyota Motor Sales USA, points out that "people don't want to buy the products their parents drive."".
Funny you should say that. My family had a Buick Park ave somewhere around 1986.... ranked high in JD surveys. Needed a new front axle, tranny and i can't remember what else.... all before 50k. I drive whats good to methrough my experience, regardless of JD Power. I've had ridiculously reliable saabs that JD said were horrible too. Bottom line is, some people take their car to the dealer because a brake light bulb has burnt out, and they report that as a problem the same as if the head gasket went....

Mercedes Benz is considered an old persons brand in Europe. Indeed, when I first took my crappy car back for creaking from windscreen, dashboard, and door pillars the salesman who sold me my car said "most of our customers are so old they don't notice faults like that"!!!!!

I highly doubt that the salesman would say that, especially since it means less possible income for the salesman.

the name of the dealer if you like and you can ring him.

No thanks on the number, I think I'll pass. My family would get kind of mad if I called there from here in the US of A. I said I doubted it, never said it was impossible. Here at the dealership that I went to they were nothing but courteous with me even though I didn't have a car of my own and I looked like I couldn't afford a MB.
Why should anyone get "mad" if you call abroad from the USA?
It's not another planet, you know, and pretty cheap to call.
Have you ever, deep breath, called abroad?
DAS --

Well, I don't think that they'd get mad. But when asked who I called and why it may get weird. "Yes, I called over there...I wanted to see if this guy on the newsgroup was right...". With our plan a call to Hawaii for an hour and a half cost ~$75 (but then again I was also upnorth at our farm so I don't know the other prices up there). I know that dealers aren't the quickest answering the phone. BTW, yes I have called abroad to Poland, France, Britain, and Germany. The first three for family and the last one to talk with my father who was there on business. And I'll be calling all over Europe to get hotel reservations (can't get car reservations as I'm only 18...maybe I'll use my dad's company car while he's there) for when I go this winter (at least that's a decent reason, unlike calling to ask if someone really said what was claimed). Ceci est la vie.
Sales people of expensive stuff can be remarkably candid if the mood strikes them. I recall a salesman/audiophile in a high end store I was in who bemoaned the death of high-end audio and the fact that the only really profitable part of their business was selling big bucks home theater installations to doctors and other professionals who were building expensive new houses and who only really cared that the audio system blended into the decor and was assembled from pricey brand components, but cared little about how the system actually sounded. I think this description captures the sentiments of the typical (not all) BMW/MB customer in this country quite well.
--

- GRL

"It's good to want things."

Hmmm.
I would guess (in the USA at least) the repair costs would be less for a Jap car then an MB. Many shops might see you driving an MB and might try and rip you off. And many shops don't care what you drive and might try and rip you off.
It would be better to ask the same question to a mechanic that you trust to do work on your ride(s)
Overall, old Jap cars are cheaper to take care of and fix.
Having nice stuff cost money (can be applied to cars and women)...even the parts are expensive, lol.
SW
The price for the 124.133 is about $8000 pending condition. It is the most reliable 124 one could own. No tune ups, wires, plugs, etc. and great mileage. It is also a tank which would save your life even if you were hit broadside by a car going 50mph! It will go 400,000 miles before major expense (replacing the head).Parts are not expensive (from Rusty Cullen at 800-741-5252) and the car is easy to work on unless you deal with mechanics who only fix American cars. It can be kept almost new in terms of ride if o.e. shocks are replaced with new Bilsteins. It rides better and shifts better if the "H" fitting at the end of the hose coming off the vacuum pump (front of engine) is replaced with an "F" fitting (part#601-078-06-45) and the two left vacuum tube are deleted. This will increase the vacuum substantially. Both cars require minimal maintenance but the turbo gets better mileage is more durable. I would keep the Mercedes. Why buy acopy when you own an original? P.

I think they're comparing Lexus to modern gasoline Mercedes cars.
You can't compare ANYTHING to the older diesel cars.
The problem is that, OK, maybe SOME Mercedes engines are still bulletproof....but all of the electronics are still temperamental and costly to maintain/repair while that engines supposedly goes 400,000 miles.

drive train were bulletproof, but the heater/air conditioning had to be replaced, the hydraulic vacuums for the doors had to be replaced, and the trunk had stopped functioning again, the S.R.S. light had come on and the quote was $140 to diagnose, and repairs possibly in the thousands.
All stuff that could be fixed, but if you have to pay a mechanic (as I do) then it is thousands of dollars. I turned mine into an Audi S8 with an extended warrranty, and got a much faster, much better handling, more comfortable, better appointed car (2002 model). Quite happy with the changeover.
We then got a Lexus RX330 for my wife, and she couldn't be happier. Intellichoice, Consumer Reports, and so on, give Lexus very high marks for reliability. Much better than modern Mercedes.
I don't think I'll be back to a Mercedes. We'll see how the Audi holds up. Since it is an S8, which was the top of their line in 2002 it might do better than other Audis, which have about the same reputation as modern Mercedes, except that Audi seems to be on its way "up" and Mercedes seems to be on its way "down" the reliability scales.
Lexus remains very solid.

um, you'll see that your evaluation isn't quite on the mark.
Audi HAS BEEN worse than MB, for a long time. And remains so.