Replacement Antenna for 116?

I'm looking at either fixing or replacing the OEM Hirschmann antenna in my 1980 300SD. Hirschmann makes a direct replacement, unfortunately they are $190. Hirschmann also makes a univeral one that is supposed
to fit many MB's and it goes for $50.
It's the Hirschmann Auta 2040. I was wondering if anyone has any experience with these? The Hirsch website has some pics and basic dimensions, but nothing to help figure out if it will work with any particular car. The tech info is very lame. It has info like the length of the DC wires which sure isn't critical, but no info on the fender hole size!
Also while it appears to fit a wide variety of fender angles, they also sell seperately "antenna heads" for the Auta2040 that come in various angles. And curiously, the angles available do not match any of the angles shown in the tech data for the antenna itself.
Was wondering if anyone has any experience with this? Among the obvious questions: Will it fit? Does the Coax Cable screw on connector on the antenna fit the OEM cable in the car?
Here's the link if anyone is interested:
http://www.hirschmann-antennas.com/amfm/ha%202040_2040sw_usa.pdf
| Will it fit? Does the Coax Cable screw on connector on the antenna fit | the OEM cable in the car? |
What's wrong with the original Hirschman?
if its just a damaged mast you can get them new for about $14, and replacement takes all of 3 minutes.