Replacement engine for my 450SL

Has anyone replaced the engine in the 107 chassis with and american made engine? It's time for me to do something with my 73 450SL and was leaning towards a small block chevy engine. I know there will be a lot of
fabrication work to try and pull this off but was wondering if anyone has already taken the plunge and could give me some heads up on what to look for.
Thanks in advance,.....
Blasphemy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Boo!

Tell me about it, it should be a sin.
cp
What you really want is this:
http://www.benzworld.org/news/news.asp?id )5
On 2005-07-25 19:18:43 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@nc.rr.com said:

People put small black chevs in everything. I am sure you local hot rod shop can help.
The people here on this list are generally not going to like that idea :~(
We usually like to keep things the way they were supposed to be from the factory...
Although I do enjoy replacing german parts with US ones on the rare occasions that's possible. ie not Bosch spark plugs
Martin Joseph wrote:

I myself am all for wild custom mods,but not a vintage 73 R107 !! Of all the MB to molest,this is just wrong! If you had said a W123,W116 or a W201,then I would be more than happy to brainstorm with you. What you are talking about is equivalent to putting peanut butter on lobster!

That'd be sacrilege!

I seen a W123 with a chevy engine on ebay, no bids.
cp
Rather than going to the effort and expense of putting in a SBC, consider buying a MB sedan. Many used the same 4.5 liter V-8, and are available cheap. I've seen many for sale here that have been wrecked, but have good drive trains.
At some point, I'll need to do the same thing. My '73 450SLC engine is showing signs of age.
Steve p.s.-if you do go with the SBC engine, I'd be interested in the outcome
Sorry to offend anyone for suggesting this but I really want to do this. I'm thinking it could be my nice day Sunday driver. I want to go with the latest electronics,... sort of like a restomod. I haven't made up my mind just yet but I'm sure leaning towards it.