Replacement key

We just purchased a 2000 CLK430 and the previous owner was unable to find the 2nd key. What info do I need to provide MB to get a replcement? How much are they?

Thx, Mark

Reply to
Mark Atanovich

You can take your ownership papers that has the VIN number on it and a key can be ordered. They cost approximately $25 and are cut by MB out on the east coast.

Reply to
Mark Ichiyama

Your local dealer can order one for you if you provide the VIN and proof of ownership. We ordered one for our S500C a while back through our local dealer in Anchorage. Didn't know they were $140.00 for the electronic version. Good grief. Also, we recently bought a preowned CL500 and the dealer (Fletcher Jones MB of Chicago) wouldn't provide a second key but he did offer to order one for us at "his cost", $125.00. Finally received the floor mats for this car by the way. They had removed them before they shipped it to us. Only took two complaints to MB Customer Service and six months of emails and phone calls. Ahhhh, Fletcher Jones! Dale (not Camille)

Mark Atanovich wrote:

Reply to
Camille

My price estimate is for the standard key, not for the "smart" keys or flip keys.

Reply to
Mark Ichiyama

Think you will pay more than that for a DAS3 key, in the UK they are approx £60 for the remote and £15 for the blade

Reply to
miknik

Yes, it's one of those electronic doohickeys. 60 quid's a bit steep!

Reply to
Mark Atanovich

What were they going to do, sell the mats on eBay? ;-)

Reply to
Mark Atanovich

Camille, was your car starmarked?

Reply to
BS

The key is really cheap in the UK, the remote and the key here cost more than NZ$300 (90 pounds).

Keith Beast E14 4NS Docklands

"miknik" news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com

A 2000 CLK uses an EIS ignition switch. Only the samrt key will turn it. The metal blade key will only get you in the door!

And keys are no longer done in Baltimore. The operation has moved to Fort Worth.

Reply to
Karl

Reply to
Camille

I would like to know where you go to get the valet key. the flat flat one.

Reply to
KINGLIFER

would you have a number? I need a valet key.

The metal blade key will

Reply to
KINGLIFER

As far as I know, the flat wallet key is not available as a replacement part. I have not been able to order any for any car I have Starmarked where I work. It was key #3. If your trunk has a lighted green button inside, there is no valet key available. The valet option had to go by-by when US federal law required trunks to be escapeable from if someone locked you in it.

Reply to
Karl