Replacement of auto shifter light bulb 1990 Euro 500SE

Hi all, I need to replace the light bulb which illuminates the surround of my automatic gear shifter lever on my 1990 126 500SE, so I can see what gear I have selected at night!

There is no mention in the owner's manual how to do this and it looks like I may have to strip the whole console to do the job. Could someone please tell me how to do this please, preferably without dismantling half the car!?

Thanks a lot,

Al Bolton Reading, UK

1990 500SE 136,000 miles
Reply to
Al Bolton

The light bulb is not at the center console where your shifter is... rather it is located way back behind your radio... follow that fiber optic harness and you will find the bulb.

Reply to
Tiger

This light bulb is situated under the forward edge of the wood trim pamel of the shifter. Access to it is by removing the small tray immediately forward of this woodtrim panel. Once the small tray has been removed you can reach under the forward edge of the woodtrim panel with your fingers. ;-))

...ricardo

Reply to
ricardo