Replacing 107 Rear Bumper Cover

Can anyone tell me how the rear bumper cover on the 380sl comes off? I can feel clips attached to the bumper, but is there anything else I should know before I attempt to pry them up?

Thanks

Reply to
Tim Singer

Just looking at my bumper, it really might be easiest to remove the complete bumper rather than try to take pieces off while on the car, but it's your car and your time. Never done it, but from the manual on CD:

Removal

1 Unscrew two nuts on rear center piece in trunk and two screws on rear fender left and right. 2 Remove complete bumper toward the rear.

Disassembly

3 Unscrew nuts of protective rubber rail left and right from inside bumber. 4 Pull off protective rubber rail. 5 Remove cover for bumper joint left and right. 6 Remove two screws each on joint of paneling under bumper. 7 Remove screws on paneling of bumper and remove paneling. 8 Remove screws on bumper shells and remove shells. 9 Disassemble reinforcment.

Assembly

10 For assembly proceed vice versa.

Installation

11 For installation proceed vice versa. Watch out for rubber discs of bumper holding bracket (body seal).
Reply to
M. Davis

Thanks. I guess I'll have to do some extra work.

Tim

Reply to
Tim Singer