replacing AC compressor on 190E

Hello,
I'm replacing the AC compressor, receiver-drier, and expansion valve on my 190E but will be having a mechanic recharge the freon.
Can I drive the car to the shop before the system is recharged? Also,
should I hook up all the lines or will the mechanic need to blow out the lines or do something else before that's done?
I have never replaced a compressor before so a heads up on any "gotchas" would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Mike
The system should be flushed to clean out any left over junk from the failed compressor. If you do not do a thorough cleaning the new compressor will fail very quickly. I would install the compressor but not hook up the lines. Also cap any open fittings to prevent further contamination. You can also install a filter to trap any residual contamination that the flush may not get rid of. You should be OK driving it to the mechanic as long you don't turn on the AC or the defroster.
Peter

You can drive that car til the cows jump over the moon with the A/C turned on. That compressor will never run with the system empty. The pressure switch on the drier will not close and send a ground signal to the Klima relay to engage the compressor clutch. No pressure = no clutch.