Replacing bad ignition switch....300SD?

The ignition switch on my 85 300SD went bad, it felt "loose" all of a sudden (like no detent where "power ON" should be, and would not turn the starter
on. I rigged up a battery power on/off switch and a separate switch to engage the starter to keep it going until I can replace the ignition switch. I still have to insert and turn the key all the way to the right to unlock the steering wheel, and because of the vacuum line start/stop control. I found a vendor that will supply a new ign key and cylinder for $38.00....but the ign housing is $128.00! (ouch!!!!) Question is, are the electrical contacts and switching function all in the housing....could I transfer the original key cylinder into the new housing? Or could it be solely something that has broken on the cylinder that is not actuating the switch mechanisms in the housing? Don't know if I need one or the other, or both.
Check with dealer for ignition switch... I recall about $27. However, you need to inspect the "teeth" that turns the switch... sometime it breaks and you will need the entire ignition lock assembly. While you are at it there, you might as well change the ignition tumber to a new one that match the original key. All available at the dealer.
These are dealer item so if you buy new from aftermarket supplier, you are paying more for markup.