Replacing front star on 1998 E320

Thanks to this group, I was advised how to take the front star off - very simple when you know how. (Mine are getting stolen too often.)

Unfortunately, it leaves a big hole in the hood with cut-outs in it for the locking piece - so I just put it back!

Does anyone have any good ideas as to what could cover this hole and still look cosmetically good and in keeping with the car? I am thinking of machining up a rounded-off disk of stainless steel with a retaining screw of some sort on the back - perhaps even engraving a flat MB star on it - but its not designed yet!

BTW, can the springy star mount be removed from the round disk part so that it can go back on? This would leave a smaller hole to fill or cover.

Thanks for all replies,

Cheers,

Roger

Reply to
Engineer

You can buy a Brabus blanking plate to fit where your star was.

Reply to
nick

Or try your dealer. Should have the small flat badge available that also covers the hole. My dad had it done on his W124 after the upright star was stolen once too often.

Have seen several cars with this solution.

DAS

--

Reply to
Dori Schmetterling

Try

They sell a nice looking silver button with MB logo that is designed to fill the "star" hole.

Reply to
Rockman59

Thanks, everyone... working on it!

Cheers,

Roger

Reply to
Engineer

You can also do a Google search for "Mercedes Benz Hood Star" and you will get many other places that sell "the star".

Reply to
Rockman59