replacing head gasket

My friend has a 1986 Mercedes which is blowing white smoke from the tailpipe - mechanic gave him a price of $1000 to replace head gasket - is this reasonable? It is a 4 cylinder engine.

Just to replace head gasket or to do a complete head job?
I guess just to replace the head gasket, thats all I want done

Then that is way too much money. Most places is like $1200 to rebuild head... machine it flat... change seals... valves... everything. It is only a 4 cylinders... I'd also change the timing chain while at it...