replacing motor mounts on '89 300e

Hello,

What's the procedure for replacing the left hand motor mount that's hidden under the intake manifold on an '89 300e? And while we're at it, what's the torque spec?

Many thanks,

Mike

Reply to
mharness

Fortunately I did not have to remove the intake manifold to get to the left hand motor mount.

I managed to get a 3/8ths ratchet and socket on the top bolt from underneath the engine and brake it loose by levering it with a pry bar. Put a block under the back edge of the oil pan and jacked the engine a lot further up than I thought I'd have to fit the new mounts in but didn't have to remove the radiator shroud as I'd read elsewhere. I was surprised how much the new mounts compressed when I let the engine back down.

Both the mounts were definitely shot (the rubber bladder was ruptured and there was oil spilled on the crossmember) and now that they've been replaced the vibration at idle is gone and I think the engine is also quieter and smoother at speed.

I couldn't torque the top bolts on either side because of access on the left side and clearance on the right but guess that I got 90 to 100 ft/lbs on those and 100 on the bottom hex bolts.

Mike

Reply to
mharness