Replacing Radio/cassette player

I would like to replace the am/fm radio cassette player on a 1990 190E 2.6 . It also has a cassette storage compartment above the radio. It also has an inoperable electric antena.
Is their a face plate to cover up the cassette storage compartment if it is removed? . Next what is the easiest way to get the old radio out . Then do I need to get a new wiring harness for the radio?
I don't rreally care if the antena goes up or down as long as it works. Presently it seems to do so on the old radio which supposedly is an Alpine.
Any suggestion as to a replacement would be helpful.
Thanks
There is a couple of steps regarding hooking up the speaker wires... you see... MB head units are only a two way: left and right... whereas the fader control is controlled externally by the fader.
So to hook up these wires properly, you have to hook up the speaker wires from the head units to the fader harness and leave the fader disconnected from the harness.
At the risk of sounding like a commercial, which I ain't, I'd go to Crutchfield.
Just about the only things I've ever done on a car that were way easier than I thought they'd be were Crutchfield installations.
I can tell you all these things from personal experience:
- They'll tell you how to get it out of the dash, and how to get door panels off to replace speakers, etc. They know where the secret tabs and screws are hidden.
- They'll give you a panel to fill the hole properly, if needed.
- They'll adjust their web site to only show you the components that will fit in your car.
- They'll include the factory wiring harness, so you can wire the thing on the bench under good light, instead of on the floor of the car looking up into the darkness. Then you just take the prewired unit to the car and plug it in.
- If you need special tools to remove your factory radio or the one you've just bought, they'll include them.
- If your antenna has some nutty proprietary plug, they'll know, and they'll send an adapter.
- If the speakers you bought need an adapter to properly fit your car, they'll include those, too.
- They answer questions on the phone, and they're real knowledgeable.
- If there's a problem with your product, they'll replace it quick.
Only drawback is they'll never have the absolute lowest price you'll find, but I've found over and over that their assistance is well worth a few bucks more. I've bought probably a half dozen stereos from them, and I'm sure that's where I'll go if I need another one.
On 2004-10-19 12:05:14 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com (MFFelsen) said:

My car (1986 190e) had the original stupid antenna replaced with a stubby little black unit. Looks good and works good too, and no motor to break...
Marty