wrschmidt2

From: snipped-for-privacy@comcast.net Subject: Replacing Rotor w/Heat Crack on 380sl

When I recently had the tires of my 81 380sl rotated, the Midas mechanic noticed a shallow groove -- he called a heat crack -- running radially from the edge to the center of the rear, left rotor. He said it was nothing to worry about, and that it should pass PA inspection anyway, since the rotor was over .375" thick. Surprisingly, I was expecting him to try to sell me rotors in addition to the pads I know I needed.

However, I'm still not so sure about either of his statements. And since I have to replace the rear pads, anyway, I guess I should replace the cracked rotor while I'm at it.

I was just wondering if heat cracks were common in Mercedes rotors; whether I should change both rotors at the same time; and how difficult that is. (I read in past posts that Mercedes used Locktite on the hub bolts of some models, which made them extremely difficult to loosen, but it didn't mention 107's.)

Thanks a lot in advance for the info guys.

Bill

Reply to
wrschmidt2

Change them out... they are cheap online.

Reply to
Tiger

Thanks Tiger. That's what I thought. Do you know how hard is it to loosen those bolts?

Bill

Reply to
Bill

For the back rotors... they are pretty easy. The front takes time to do it.

Reply to
Tiger